Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Amp help for a(n old) newbie

Thread: Amp help for a(n old) newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amp help for a(n old) newbie

Hey all,
    I've been fooling around with guitar since about 2000. My playing should be better, but I'm trying to get back into it.
    When I was deployed to Iraq in 2004 I bought some gear to ship to my house in the States.
    I've a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and US Masters dual humbucker strat style guitar.
    I haven't had any amp issues yet, but I went down the rabbit hole reading about their common issues.
    I pulled the cover and I don't see any caps leaking or burned/hot spots on the PCB. I don't want to have issues down the road, so I'm thinking about selling it for something else. I've read about the Luigi mod and some other parts kit upgrades.
    I am drawn to rock/blues and like the old style of Fender tone. I don't perform, and want something smallish for the house.
    I'd really like to do the Luigi board, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that level of work right now. I recently was laid off work (auto tech for 10 years) and am now going back to school full time. I also don't know of any good shops around here (Vancouver, WA) that I would trust or be able to afford. Looking for suggestions if you have any.
    What do you all think? Should I sell this and look for something else? I don't have a lot of money to add to the cost of something else, so what I sell it for would pretty much determine my budget.
    Thanks for looking!

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest just selling the HRD and getting something like the Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb. It's a great size for home play and certainly has that classic Fender sound, and is reasonably priced at $900. If you want something a bit bigger, the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb gets you 10 more watts and a 12" speaker for $1100.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    I would suggest just selling the HRD and getting something like the Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb. It's a great size for home play and certainly has that classic Fender sound, and is reasonably priced at $900. If you want something a bit bigger, the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb gets you 10 more watts and a 12" speaker for $1100.
    Thanks for the advice.
    I was actually looking at building one of the mojo tone kits. I see they have a “blackface” Princeton reverb style kit. Pretty cool it’s not a PCB setup.

Post Thanks / Like

As it happens, my favorite of the amps I currently own is a kit I built from Allen Amplification called the Sweet Spot. It's based upon the Princeton Reverb, but with some modern enhancements and a 12" speaker. Sounds just fantastic, if it's that Blackface tone you're going for.

http://www.allenamps.com/sweetspot.html
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    As it happens, my favorite of the amps I currently own is a kit I built from Allen Amplification called the Sweet Spot. It's based upon the Princeton Reverb, but with some modern enhancements and a 12" speaker. Sounds just fantastic, if it's that Blackface tone you're going for.

http://www.allenamps.com/sweetspot.html
    Looks cool, but more than I am able to spend.