Thread: Styx and REO Speedwagon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Styx and REO Speedwagon

Performing Blue Collar Man live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJndACLC5qI
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the babes in the audience! Yeahhh! Look at Kevin's new do! Yeahhh! Look at that sweet Gibson! Yeahhh!

Cool vid.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Gawd, that RAWKED! They were on that night. Did you see the line of Plexi Marhalls and the Vox AC30 on stage? Too cool.

I think the reason why bands like Styx and REO are seeing a resurgence of popularity is because it's real music, played by real musicians. No DJs or sequenced drums, just catchy hooks, melody and good, solid playing.

Don't see too much of that in popular music these days.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Gawd, that RAWKED! They were on that night. Did you see the line of Plexi Marhalls and the Vox AC30 on stage? Too cool.

I think the reason why bands like Styx and REO are seeing a resurgence of popularity is because it's real music, played by real musicians. No DJs or sequenced drums, just catchy hooks, melody and good, solid playing.

Don't see too much of that in popular music these days.
    Kata - the other night my teenage daughter just happened to be in the livingroom with me while she did her homework. That was one of the nights I was watching my Midnight Special DVDs and her remark was very similar to yours. She said "man you don't see people like that anymore actually PLAYING instruments on stage".

We think about all these put together acts nowadays and it pales in comparison to the real talent musicians used to be able to provide back in the day.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

That was pretty darn good. Too bad Kevin doesn't sing like that on REO songs.

I did this kind of a jam a long time ago. My band was on the road promoting a compilation record that we were on and we would do a series of dates with 2 or 3 other bands that were also on the record. We all took turns headlining.

At the end of each night we (whoever was still sober enough to find the stage) would all get up together and play "You Got Another Thing Commin" by Judas Priest.

Oh man! Guitars a wailin', 5 piece harmonies, excessive posing and free beer. It just never got any better than that. Having fun with your friends. That indeed is "rock n roll".

Thanks for posting the clip.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.