Thread: EMG 81X vs 81/57 wiring/pots

Post Thanks / Like

Default EMG 81X vs 81/57 wiring/pots

Hello everyone, first post! I've done some research and tried contacting EMG but they haven't responded. I currently have the 57/66 combo on my 8 string and would like to go with the 81x and 85x versions. Am I correct in that the tone pots are not compatible and must be swapped? It still runs on 9v right? Switching to say a SD Blackout set instead would be a direct plug in without modification? Thanks for any help and confirmation!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a pre-amp in it? I thought all EMG active guitar pickups used 25K pots and should, therefore, be able to be used with both sets of pickups. Having said that, I'm more familiar with bass EMGs than guitar ones.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Actually after looking at EMG's site it appears that an active tone pot is part of the "secret sauce" to the X series. From what I read, you get all the hardware you need to install them when you buy the pups from them.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Seems easy enough

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk