Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My latest amp build (Christmas '20)

Thread: My latest amp build (Christmas '20)

Post Thanks / Like

Default My latest amp build (Christmas '20)

It's a BYOC 18-Watt "TMB" head, basically a circuit clone of the venerable 18W Marshall "1974X" model of the late '60s (the model # has nothing to do with the mfg. date). This is the third 18W TMB kit I've built, starting with a Trinity Amps kit (chronicled HERE) and, a couple of years later, the BYOC version when it first came out. Both amps were soon sold to fund other gear-related purchases. But this past fall, BYOC announced that they would be out of the amp kit business temporarily due to their transformer supplier going out of business (bummer!). They'll be back, but it takes a while to qualify a new source, and then update their detailed build instructions to reflect the new transformer configuration and wire colors.

Anyway, the announcement was made that, after their current stock was depleted, that would be it for a while. I had been thinking about how good those 18W heads had sounded, and had also recently sold some gear and had the funding available, so I decided to snag one of those remaining kits. Turned out that I made the decision in the nick of time, because I got the last one!

Rather than duplicating it here, I'll just direct you over to the build thread on the BYOC forum (link below) if you're interested in seeing how the amp came together. I decided to go with an eye-catching red tolex finish on the head cab, with white piping. After another forum member over at BYOC commented on who the amp reminded him of, I gave it the pun-ishing name of "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo". And it sounds as bold as it looks!

Here's the link: http://www.byocelectronics.com/board...hp?f=9&t=59226

And here's a teaser photo:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

2. Likes piebaldpython*** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet looking Head. I like the coloring and white piping. We need clips........you know the drill! haha

4. Likes duhvoodooman*** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fabulous and gorgeous I love these Marshall Amps I had great memories of playing through one of them at a Jam Session with a Japanese strat and thought Oh my gosh it sounds killer
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

6. Likes duhvoodooman*** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    We need clips........you know the drill! haha
    Fortunately, Keith (Mr. BYOC) already has one posted on YouTube:

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to sound really good ! probably heavy no ?
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes View Post
    Seems to sound really good ! probably heavy no ?
    Not too bad, really. The fact that it's only driving 18 watts of power keeps the size of the transformers down, and other than the cabinet itself, those are the two heaviest components in the amp.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool ! Maybe one day
    Guitars:

Amps:

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

You've really become quite good at this, haven't you DVM?
    I can only imagine the pride you must feel when you complete a project like this...professional build quality for sure!
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Playing at 10 on the non-master channel must be ear-splittingly loud! Sounds awesome, though. The effects loop in the channel switcher pedal is an interesting twist. I don't think I've ever seen that before.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn