Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Decent kid's electric?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent kid's electric?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Decent kid's electric?

I plan on getting my fiancee's daughter an electric guitar in the near future, and I'd like to get her something that doesn't suck. Her Luna acoustic leaves a lot to be desired, and I think I'll avoid that brand in the future.

Who here has experience with some kid sized guitars and would like to share good or bad experiences? Your input, as always, is appreciated.

I'd like to avoid paying more that about $150, since she'll outgrow it in a few years anyway. Hey, I'm not cheap, I'm frugal. ;-)
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have much experience with anything good, but I will say to stay away from the 36" mail-order guitar I had when I was younger. Let's just say it wasn't the best ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my son a Majesto V in school bus yellow. Doesnt sound that bad when you can keep it in tune. He doesnt play it much but then again he's only 4. He will plug into his amp from time to time and jam along with me though.

Ive thought if I was to get him another if he took more of a intrest Id look into a ministrat.
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=510421

If you want a acoustic how about......
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=515880
    Little more money but its not just a beginner its a traveler.

Post Thanks / Like

Just how old is she, FrankenFretter?

Would it be worth it to buy her a full size guitar so that she doesn't outgrow it in a couple of years? Or, is she so small that she couldn't handle a full size?

Try looking into some of the SX guitars at Rondo. The $100.00 SST with 2-P90's I got from them is way more than just a crappy $100.00 guitar.

Edit to add: Ok, here's a 3/4 scale guitar/amp package that even a cheapskate like you can afford @ $99.95...
    http://www.rondomusic.com/rst34bk.html

**Or**

If you wanted to go just guitar @ $79.95:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/hawkse3ts.html
    Last edited by Bloozcat; October 1st, 2010 at 08:45 AM.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago I bought a Jay Jr (made by Jay Turser) which is a 3/4 size guitar hoping my children would be interested in learning, but they never did. I did, however, found the guitar to be very nice to play. When I first got it the neck angle was a bit off. I shimmed it with a thin pick in the neck pocket and then the guitar had excellent action. The guitar was intonable, and the tuning keys actually held tune very well, and the maple neck was very nice to play on. Although my kids did not play it I actually played it quite often. The negative on my guitar was the pickup, which sounded muddy. I sold off this guitar earlier this year since my children are big enough to play a regular guitar (if they even want to). The Jay Jr I sold is this one:

I looked for Jay Jr on the web and after some effort found this:

http://www.musiclandcentral.com/jaytu34siste.html

I don't know if this has the same neck or tuners, and this has 3 single coils versus my old one with a humbucker. All I can say is that my experience with the Jay Jr is positive.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm continually pleased with my Squier Affinity Strat, and they're often available used for as little as $75 (Mine was approximately $50, but I had to replace the pots and switch). Nicely made, comfortable to hold, easy to play, not too heavy.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kid guitar

It matters how old and how big the kid is as to what guitar to recommend or get.

A lot of people think that if the kid is like 10 or a larger kid at a younger age, that you should avoid so called, "kid" sized guitars. Obviously if the kid is five years old a small sized guitar would be good.

The reason many say you should get a kid a full sized guitar if the kid is of the right age, size, is that the necks are standard size the fret hand coordination and muscle memory develops correctly. When a kid starts out on a small guitar the coordination and muscle memory will not transfer directly over to a full sized guitar and this can make for a new learning curve and be a stumbling block, but not insurmountable. The kid can still learn basic chords and scales, but will have to adapt them to a full sized guitar later.

I would say that a Squire mini strat would be a very good guitar and not too expensive from MF, no affln, or elsewhere, if you want a small guitar. Another child's guitar is the Epiphone Les Paul Junior, now popularly used by many adults but originally designed as a Gibson student guitar. The Les Paul Jr. is a single humbucker equipped guitar in its present Epiphone form available from any of the online retailers and would probably make a great kids guitar.

If the kid is large enough to handle a full sized guitar, rondomusic.com, no affln., has a couple black Agile AL 2000 Les Paul copies of excellent construction currently on sale for 175 dollars. One has a slim neck profile that might be good for a kid but a regular neck profile has plenty of room on the fretboard for finger placement without your fingers getting in the way of each other. These are excellent guitars and are probably better built than most of the Les Paul copy immitations costing two or three times as much. These Agile AL 2000's have dual chrome covered humbuckers of good quality and are layed out like a Gibson Les Paul with controls and general layout, with some minor design differences, mostly imperceptible to the average person.

Then of course is the amp. For around a hundred dollars you can get a real good amp, like the VOX Pathfinder 15R for 119 at places like musciansfriend.com. Or a really cool battery or wall current operated VOX DA5 small modeling amp with lots of great amp models and great effects that are highly adjustable, plus it has a microphone input with a separate volume control so your kid can sing along or someone else can sing along while the kid plays. Very cool for 139 dollars at MF or elsewhere. Uses 6 "C" cell batteries for 30 hours on a camping trip or whatever and has a switch to change the power output from 5 watts, to 2.5 or 0.5 watts. It is a super great amp.

These are just some of my ideas and hopefully you will find them of some use in making your decision as to what is best.

I would avoid really low quality off brand name guitars and amps that will probably cost you as much as a Squire or Agile, or even a Vox. This is the golden age of guitars and amps and there are great inexpensive ones available, as was never before possible historically; because these excellently made guitars are mass produced in modern factories using robotics and computer controlled machine tools. Very consistent and high quality guitars are continuously turned out and competition among companies is very strong, keeping the quality high and the prices low, in most cases.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, folks. She's nine, and small for her age. I think it's going to have to be a smaller guitar for her. The mini-Strat gets consistently good reviews, although I was kind of hoping for something really simple (one pickup, one volume). She saw the Daisy Rock kids' guitars and is now almost obsessed with them. If the mini Strat is going to be a better guitar (or an SX for that matter), then she'll just have to live without a butterfly guitar.

I own two SXs, a Douglas, and an Agile AL3000, so I'm quite familiar with Rondo, and had in fact thought of them first when I was starting to seriously look for a smaller electric.

Amphs: I have several small amps that she can use, so that's not an issue. I'm thinking about giving her my Vox Pathfinder 10 for her starter amph.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Ding, ding, ding, ding....

We could have a winner here, folks!

The features you asked for, a fantastic price @ $69.95, and it looks like it comes with the old, more attractive headstock!

Well, what do you think?

http://www.rondomusic.com/product2202.html
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Ding, ding, ding, ding....

We could have a winner here, folks!

The features you asked for, a fantastic price @ $69.95, and it looks like it comes with the old, more attractive headstock!

Well, what do you think?

http://www.rondomusic.com/product2202.html
    That's actually the one that caught my eye, BC. I just wish it was a hardtail, but I guess I can just not tell her about the whammy until she gets the hang of playing. Too bad Kurt doesn't have one in purple...
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

The kid that I'm teaching has a Laguna. I'm not impressed with it.

The intonation is more than a bit funky.

SX is probably a good choice as you well know.

Post Thanks / Like

Another idea is to get a regular sized guitar and a capo. Use the capo (say, on the sixth fret) to eliminate the long reach to fret a chord. As the child grows, move or remove the capo. I suggested the sixth fret because then there's still going to be a fret marker at the ninth fret like there would normally be at the third fret.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen (but not played) the Daisy Rocks at trade shows. They looked pretty good. Decent hardware and all. Looked on ebay and saw some new short scale models that fit the high end of your budget (buterfly model included). Probably with any guitar of this level though, you should play it before buying. Although if you are adept at doing fairly simple fretwork (leveling primarily) you'd probably be ok buying onlne. Guitars on this level seem to most often suffer from unleveled, poorly dressed frets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    I've seen (but not played) the Daisy Rocks at trade shows. They looked pretty good. Decent hardware and all. Looked on ebay and saw some new short scale models that fit the high end of your budget (buterfly model included). Probably with any guitar of this level though, you should play it before buying. Although if you are adept at doing fairly simple fretwork (leveling primarily) you'd probably be ok buying onlne. Guitars on this level seem to most often suffer from unleveled, poorly dressed frets.
    Thanks for the advice, Syo. I've never done any fret work. I'm not saying that I can't learn it, but that would mean more tools...

I've had pretty good luck with the stuff from Rondo. Leaning that way at the moment, but it's still going to be a while before I'm ready to buy.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    The kid that I'm teaching has a Laguna. I'm not impressed with it.

The intonation is more than a bit funky.

SX is probably a good choice as you well know.
    Why not fix the intonation, then? Takes 10 minutes?
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Guitar

I like that strat copy from Rondo with one humbucker.

Why not tape it off and spray paint it purple? Sand it with some very fine fine sandpaper or steel wool and just spray it with some cans of spray paint from an auto paint store. It would be high quality spray paint, maybe even urethane spray or something like that that will dry hard, designed for touching up cars. Very durable. Go slow, several thin coats. Avoid orange peel and drip.

I like hot rodded guitars but haven't painted any yet. I've relic'd one; never thought I'd do that but my son's friends scratched and dinged up my cherry burst Squier strat deluxe and I decided to use my palm sander to sand out the dents and ugly scratches. Now it has sanded off patches that look real good and I have given the bare wood patches coats of linseed oil to seal the body from moisture, wiping off all the excess oil. Looks great and I then put in a set of "Fat 50's" Fender pickups and it sounds really great. I really like the fat fifties. Next some EMG active single coil noiseless or some other strat noiseless in another strat.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

With all that extra pickguard she could put lots of colorful stickers on it. To personalize it. The white is a good choice. What are you going to do about the rest of the gear she will need. Like an amp etc.?
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    With all that extra pickguard she could put lots of colorful stickers on it. To personalize it. The white is a good choice. What are you going to do about the rest of the gear she will need. Like an amp etc.?
    Yeah, she does love putting stickers on things. Had to tell her not to put them on walls and doors just this weekend.

I have all the other stuff she needs: I have a Vox Pathfinder 10, and also a Peavey Royal 8, if she feels the need for a tube amph. I have tons of picks, and enough cords to go around. All I need is a kid-sized guitar. It might end up being her Christmas present.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

My stepdaughter (13), every once and a while, will ask me to show her some stuff on guitar. We got to talking about her likes / dislikes in music, and it looks like she wants to learn bass.

Took her to a couple music stores in my area and let her try a few out. She loved it. Big grin on her face when I showed her a simple I - IV - V bass line and played a rhythm over it. It took all of ten minutes to get her playing.

Long story short, she'll be getting a bass this Christmas, a short scale one, from Rondo. They have bass packs really cheap.

Hopefully, this'll start a lifetime of learning on an instrument that is easy to get started on, but takes a lifetime to master!

So, the moral of this multiparagraph tale is, don't count out bass guitar, too!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast