Thread: ESP LTD EC-256 with Iron Gear Rolling Mill pickups.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default ESP LTD EC-256 with Iron Gear Rolling Mill pickups.

I had wanted a Les Paul type, set neck, HH guitar for quite a while. And found this one with upgraded pick ups for $350. Received it yesterday. Quite happy with it!

Tiniest bit of fat sprout on the uphill side of the fretboard from about the 20th fret up. I probably would never get there anyway but will fix those with a little filing at some point.

The rolling mill pick ups are a PAF type and sound very articulate and clear. The neck is clearer than the neck to pick up in my Hagstrom. That is the one nagging little thing and I have had with that Hagstrom and still will maybe replace that neck pick up. But in any case, the feel, attack, and the sound is different from the Hagstrom with the Hegstrom having more of that round, semi hollow, feel and tone. This is a little bit more direct and rock oriented attack. Very fun into my Peavey C30 driving my Marshall cabinet with greenbacks in it, especially with my Catalinbread dirty little secret Marshall in a box pedal turned on. And I like the contours and neck. Nice and comfy. And the guitar is not too heavy.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Pics or it didn't happen! (sorry, couldn't help myself)

I'd love to get a LP-esque guitar with a goldtop, p90s, and big frets, but no one seems to make such a thing.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

3. Likes sunvalleylaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Would love to put up some pictures, but seem to of lost the ability to post them.

Meanwhile, here is a link to an album of photos in Google photos so you can see it is actually true!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qQEgVXodfMYAaAMh7
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Cool guitar! I used to gig with a gold top version of that some years back. Fantastic guitar with killer tone. I hope you enjoy playing that.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

6. Likes sunvalleylaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks cool ! How does that sound classic Lespaul ?
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

8. Likes sunvalleylaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes View Post
    Looks cool ! How does that sound classic Lespaul ?
    I have never owned a classic Les Paul so can’t really say for sure. It definitely sounds different from any of my other guitars, and I think comes close. I do really like the rolling mill pick ups which give a classic PAF sound and are very articulate.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post

Tiniest bit of fat sprout on the uphill side of the fretboard from about the 20th fret up. I probably would never get there anyway but will fix those with a little filing at some point.
    Ah, if only fat sprout could be fixed with a file...! Cool guitar Steve - but please do not apply gasoline to my GAS embers. They have finally burned down to almost nothing, but it doesn't take much! Enjoy!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp