Thread: Squeaky frets after a Lemon Oil?!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Squeaky frets after a Lemon Oil?!

Hey,

After I lemon oil 65'd the fretboard in my Epiphone Les Paul Special, I got really squeaky frets. Like after you've done the dishes, squeaky-clean feeling. So when bending, my finger stumbles across the fret, instead of gliding.

I cleaned off the frets with some naptha and they're back to being fine.

But what gives?! The fretboard is Indian Laurel. Lemon Oil 65 is supposed to be great stuff, but just made my frets feel too clean and squeaky

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the 'grab' you were feeling was between your fingers and the wood of the fretboard, and not the frets themselves. I've used lemon oil before and not had this experience. Oily frets should be very slippery, but oily wood can sometimes act like wet wood and have some friction.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I meant the fretboard rather than the frets themselves.

Grab is a very good description! Why do people use oils on the fretboard if it causes additional friction or grab?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Hodgskin View Post
    Yes, I meant the fretboard rather than the frets themselves.

Grab is a very good description! Why do people use oils on the fretboard if it causes additional friction or grab?
    Because if the fretboard is not sealed (like maple necks are) the fretboard can dry out, crack, give you pointy fret ends, etc. My guess would be you used too much. You just need a little on a cloth. Rub it in and then rub any excess off. As they said in days of yore: a little dab'll do ya.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Because if the fretboard is not sealed (like maple necks are) the fretboard can dry out, crack, give you pointy fret ends, etc. My guess would be you used too much. You just need a little on a cloth. Rub it in and then rub any excess off. As they said in days of yore: a little dab'll do ya.
    Awesome. I'll try again!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually use my right hand to rub it down a few times, to remove any excess oil.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.