Thread: Home Recording with the Boss Katana

Post Thanks / Like

Default Home Recording with the Boss Katana

'Sup fellas!

I still have a couple of my older amps around, the Classic 30, Cube, etc. The last amph I bought was the Boss Katana and I bought it specifically for recording into my DAW. Even though I am a huge fan of Scuffham Amps S-Gear, I am very old school in that i like physical instruments to dial in and feel the sound from. The Classic 30 is a beast for live gigs and sounds so good but for in the studio or small room recording it is just too loud and I have to run two cables and mics to get a good capture from it. The Katana has a USB out that captures the sound perfectly and I can even re-amp if I wish. Tons of sounds can be obtained by tweaking settings or exploring sound banks others have made.

Here's a youtube video where I am using the Katana to record to my DAW (Tracktion 7 at the time). It's a cover of Like a Hurricane by Neil Young and I am using my Gibson LP 50s Tribute. I just played with s few knobs until I liked the sound I was hearing from the amph. I always have it fired up hotter than you hear it because I like to dial it back on the volume knob. Reverb and some delay also tapped from the Katana.

Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx View Post
    'Sup fellas!

I still have a couple of my older amps around, the Classic 30, Cube, etc. The last amph I bought was the Boss Katana and I bought it specifically for recording into my DAW. Even though I am a huge fan of Scuffham Amps S-Gear, I am very old school in that i like physical instruments to dial in and feel the sound from. The Classic 30 is a beast for live gigs and sounds so good but for in the studio or small room recording it is just too loud and I have to run two cables and mics to get a good capture from it. The Katana has a USB out that captures the sound perfectly and I can even re-amp if I wish. Tons of sounds can be obtained by tweaking settings or exploring sound banks others have made.

Here's a youtube video where I am using the Katana to record to my DAW (Tracktion 7 at the time). It's a cover of Like a Hurricane by Neil Young and I am using my Gibson LP 50s Tribute. I just played with s few knobs until I liked the sound I was hearing from the amph. I always have it fired up hotter than you hear it because I like to dial it back on the volume knob. Reverb and some delay also tapped from the Katana.

I can see why you like using the Katana this way. I had a couple a few years back but let them go, which I now regret a bit. Your tone on this is really rich and Crazyhorse-ish. Good Neil-style playing, too.

I am still using my Helix as a recording interface, into GB10. But given my Mac is ancient I may soon need to move to another DAW on a PC. Interested in any observations you have about the DAW you are using, which I am not familiar with.

Keep up the good work and playing and thanks for sharing!
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I played that song before--although I was playing bass. Very fun song to play. The Katana is a great piece of kit. My youngest son wants to get into guitar. I told him to get a Katana if he does.

Sounds great!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for listening. As far as the DAW goes, I have been using Tracktion since it first came out - some alpha version - and have stuck with them even when all thought they would go the way of the Dodo bird after Tracktion 3. After Traction 7 or thereabouts, Tracktion shifted to "Waveform" which is am improved uption Tracktion. In addition, they make VST instruments and plugins. I am a huge fan of there Master Mix. This is used to basically give a completed, polished sound to your recording. I'll post an example of this some time. It's an amazing plugin and isn't over-priced. Speaking of price, the company believes everyone should have the ability to produce the best music that they can and they always offer an older version of their current DAW for free.

It a nutshell, it is NOT software that emulates knobs and controls, it is meant to simplify your life and presents everything you need right in front of you in a logical fashion. It's intuitive to start using right away and it is an indispensable tool to record your music.

Pop over to their web site and poke around.

Regards!
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete