Thread: Choices for an Acoustic in the $800ish Range

Post Thanks / Like

Default Choices for an Acoustic in the $800ish Range

Hi all,

I'm in the market for an acoustic since I don't have one. I'd like to get something that's nicely mid-range without getting too expensive. I'd still need to save up a bit because my taxes have gotten crazy and I helped my son with his wedding expenses. Here's the ones I'm looking at:

Yamaha FGC-TA: I thought the Transacoustic stuff was nothing more than a gimmick. YouTube videos don't do it justice. I played it at the local GC and another guy who was in the acoustic room and I just laughed, not because it was funny but it was eerie that it sounded so good. The chorus does a more-than-passable 12 string imitation.

Taylor Academy 10e: I really enjoyed playing this one. I also like the Taylor bolt-on construction which would make a neck reset a 10 minute procedure instead of major surgery. I also like that Taylor makes their own low-mid guitars at their own factory just down the road from their USA factory in Mexico.

Martin D10E-01 Road Series: This one is the most expensive, but that little extra gives you solid wood back and sides. The other two are laminate. That might help it hold value. Like Taylor, Martin makes their own stuff in Mexico. There's also this one, but I'm not sure why it's cheaper.

Of the three, I enjoyed playing the Taylor the most. That probably is because they string up the Academy series with slightly lighter strings, so you could restring the others too. I took along my string action ruler so I could check the action at the 12th fret. All three guitars were seemingly well set up. The Yamaha seemed to have the most "finishy" finish if you get my meaning. The Taylor's was probably the nicest. The Martin Road Series is the rawest because that's basically the Road Series vibe. The three sounded nice acoustically. They are all slightly different but none were bad. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Subsequent to my original post I learned that Yamaha built its own factory in China and trains the people who work there as well, so they aren't contracted out. Seems that part is all even.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably talking to myself here, but I have some more data points. I've done more research into the three manufacturers. I found the Yamaha AC3M which is $899, the same as the Martin. Unlike the Taylors, the Yamaha has solid wood back and sides. As far as I can tell, you need to spend over $2K to get a Taylor with solid back and sides (edit: that is incorrect. The American Dream series is solid back and sides and is in the same price range as the 200 series). I did compare the AC3M with a Taylor 214ce which goes from $1600. Both sounded good. The Taylor was very bright with little bass. Not a surprise because it's not a dread. It certainly didn't sound twice as good as the Yamaha.

So right now I'm leaning toward the AC3M. It sounds quite a bit better than the Transacoustic (without the effects--the effects radically improve the sound). It is $120 more, but the AC3M comes with a case whereas the Transacoustic does not. That pretty much makes up the difference right there.

Honestly I really wanted to like the Taylor because of the neck construction. I like them, but it's hard to ignore how much more guitar you get for the money with Yamaha.

Post Thanks / Like

Only thing I have to offer is - have you considered buying used? I have some really nice acoustics, and for me nothing is worth the asking prices for new these days. Just a thought.

And once you decide - pics please.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Only thing I have to offer is - have you considered buying used? I have some really nice acoustics, and for me nothing is worth the asking prices for new these days. Just a thought.

And once you decide - pics please.
    Yes, I have. My issue is that finding used in my area is ... challenging. The local GC (really, the only local guitar store) mainly has low-end stuff used, which is understandable. If I could find better used stuff, I'd jump at the chance. Definitely keeping an eye open.

Oh yes, pics will follow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Interestingly enough, I visited a store in the area that I previously didn't know existed. They're new guitars were mostly low-end stuff, but the used stuff was pretty impressive. I saw a Gibson double neck. I had never seen one of those up close and person before. They also had a Carvin Cobalt 780. I didn't even realize they made acoustics. Apparently this one was made in Korea by Cort for Carvin. It's a jumbo which is bigger than I'd like. What brought me in was an American Acoustasonic Telecaster. Normally they go for $2K, but this one is for $999. It had a ding in the front towards the bottom. Other than that it was in great condition. The previous owner strung it up with electric strings (9s, I think), which made it hard to judge the acoustic sounds. Very tempting though.

I asked what the story was with it, but apparently someone lives in the area who likes buying expensive stuff. He keeps it for a while until his wife realizes it, basically

Post Thanks / Like

Just for fun, take a look at MusicGoRound.com. You can filter down to your price range. I've bought from them in the past, never a problem.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Buying a guitar is such a subjective experience, and like you, I always over-work it! But that's just how it is - you want to be sure you get one that you are really happy with. SO the one that sounds and plays best, and that you love to look at sitting on its stand. I wouldn't worry too much about 'holding its value' - who knows what anything will be worth down the road, or if you'll even be the one selling it (if you catch my drift).

ted
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Buying a guitar is such a subjective experience, and like you, I always over-work it! But that's just how it is - you want to be sure you get one that you are really happy with. SO the one that sounds and plays best, and that you love to look at sitting on its stand. I wouldn't worry too much about 'holding its value' - who knows what anything will be worth down the road, or if you'll even be the one selling it (if you catch my drift).

ted
    Yep. That is the absolutely lowest priority. It's a data point, but that's about it.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yamaha seem to have a fantastic guitars for the price. All of the ones you mention are great though. I really like the Taylor.

Hard to go wrong with any of them!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.