Thread: HN(to me)GD! Taylor Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Default HN(to me)GD! Taylor Acoustic

This guitar has a story. When I moved to Michigan, one of my new members helped me move in. He was very excited to see my guitar cases. We bonded over our mutual love of the instrument. He had very expensive tastes in guitars and had a wide collection. At the beginning of 2022 his cancer came back and this time it took his life. He was only in his 60s. Recently I asked his wife if there was a guitar I could buy from his collection since I was looking for an acoustic. She said that she had already been talking with her kids about it and she wanted just to give me one. I just got it home. It is a Taylor 914ca. According to the serial number, it was completed on August 8, 2018. Here's a picture, more details will follow. This is an infinitely nicer guitar than anything I could have gotten on my own.

You'll have to go to Google Photos directly to see it.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/tBpCugRTFJBgTrrLA
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I put a set of Martin MA540T strings (.012-.054) on it. He had a previous version of the same strings on it. Since I haven't purchased acoustic strings since I was in high school, I had no idea what to get. I also ordered a Taylorsense system from Amazon which basically replaces the battery housing with one that includes a temperature, humidity, and shock sensor. I figure if I have a guitar this nice, I should take care of it.

It sounds great but the best part is the playability. Taylors are apparently known for that, but between that and the 12s on there, barre chords are effortless. The intonation is also very good. I'm not one for bling on guitars. This one certainly has some, but it's restrained. The case it came in seems like it could survive a direct nuclear attack. I'll try to get some tone clips recorded, both through my mic and through the pickup system into my computer.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Heya Rev, that guitar looks fantastic. I would like to get me a new acoustic and something like that ticks all the boxes. I hope you enjoy it immensely. Post some sound clips.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete