Thread: NAD: Fishman Loudbox Mini

Post Thanks / Like

Default NAD: Fishman Loudbox Mini

Whelp, I had a change of heart (see my previous thread). I drove to the local GC and tried out the Boss Katana 100 Mk2 head vs the Fishman Loudbox Mini. I used one of their ~$1800 Taylors there which has the same pickup/preamp as mine. From what I heard online, I thought the Katana's acoustic amp model would work fine. Mind you, it didn't sound bad. I played it through the Boss 2x12 cab and also out of the little speaker that is in the head itself. The speaker in the head sounded way better than I thought it would. Played through the cab, it was sort of like playing an acoustic through an electric guitar amp. More of the acoustic character of the guitar carried through, but there was a boominess that I just couldn't dial out no matter what I tried. So was it better than playing it through one of the amps I own? Yes. Was it worth spending more money on? In my opinion, no.

So I tried the Fishman Loudbox Mini. It is specifically designed for acoustic and it has a second channel for adding a mic. It has a 1/4" and 1/8" line in as well as Bluetooth. There's three band EQ, digital reverb and chorus, and a phase switch. There's also an mic DI output. It sounds glorious. The sound that is coming out of the amp is the sound of my guitar. So often piezos can be super quacky. I don't know if there is some Fishman witchcraft in there that takes that out but it sounds wonderful. The reverb and chorus sound very nice and natural. Even with them cranked, it never sounds tacky.

Now, it was more expensive than the Katana (the head was on sale for $299, normally $369) and the Fishman was $399. The sound quality was way beyond the difference in price. I'm a happy camper.

Having said that, if I knew that someone was starting out on electric guitar, I'd recommend they get a Katana. The amp's controls are very self-explanatory and you can dig into the software to tweak the living daylights out of everything. If they got into acoustic later, it would be a serviceable amp for that too.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Katana for a while and was very happy with it. That said, the Fishman is allegedly a cut above. Interested in how it amplifies without using pesky piezzos with their thumpy noises. Love to hear a sample of your acoustic through the Fishman. Might be a good option for me and my Martin.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

It really looks cool Marnold I never try one but I played once in a Fender Acoustic amp and I was surprised by the quality of sound of both the voice and the guitar
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I only just saw your other post Rev. I love my original Katana v1. I still love my, by now, very modified Peavey C30.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same Fishman amp. Congrats on new amph day!
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to find a good way to record it. May just use my phone. All I can say is that it makes me want to play acoustic more, which I think is the highest praise you can give an amph.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, no higher praise needed. If you do record it at some point would be great to hear.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah