Here is a completely free DAW for Windows or Mac that I highly recommend. I have been using Tracktion products for over 20 years and have nothing but great things to say about them.

Hop over to the website and gank a copy of the software for your respective platform. I will suggest one product to pay for and that is Master Mix. There is a free trial that you can use to master a previous recording to see how you like it. For me it is an indispensable tool.

Now, one other thing I would like to recommend is Scuffham Amps S-Gear. This is the second biggest tool that I use in music production. It takes all the hassle out micing an amp and delivers unbelievably realistic guitar tone. You can use custom IRs and the soundbanks are infinitely tweakable. There is a 15-day trial for this software. I urge you to give it a try I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. It is and has been under constant development and worth every cent charged.

Please give the above a shot and record something. I would love to hear what you produce with the software so please post up your post-production output so we can all hear what you created. At the very least, you end up with an awesome free DAW to continue to play with even if you don't end up grabbing the two recommended VSTi plugins.

Have fun!