Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Telecaster controls - Like em or not?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telecaster controls - Like em or not?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Telecaster controls - Like em or not?

I have a big problem with Telecaster controls.

It seems hard (nearly impossible) to get my finger between the volume knob and the switch when the switch is in the bridge position. It makes fast pickup selection a bit of a chore and very frustrating.

A Strat switch is out there where you can easily flick it. Same with a Les Paul switch. Why isn't the Tele as easy to use? Does anyone make an aftermarket control plate that moves the volume knob towards the tone knob? Should we start a movement to get the spacing changed at the factory?

There is a lot of unused real estate between the two knobs. Shouldn't they be closer together?

What is your take on it?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

That is not a problem with my Muddy Waters Tele knobs. I think all Teles should benefit from the use of Fender amph knobs like the Muddy!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    That is not a problem with my Muddy Waters Tele knobs. I think all Teles should benefit from the use of Fender amph knobs like the Muddy!
    I've heard good things about the Muddy Waters Tele. What's your opinion Tone?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I could see how those knobs would give just a little more space to get to the switch. Unfortunately, every other Tele comes with the chrome knobs. I like those myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the switches and knobs on my Tele...I wouldnt change a thing...but thats just my opnion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I've heard good things about the Muddy Waters Tele. What's your opinion Tone?
    The first thing I noticed when playing the Muddy was how loud and clean the strings vibrate. I attribute that to the vintage tailpiece with 3 brass saddles, the medium jumbo frets and the ash body. Plus the fact that it IS a standard string through body design by nature. You get a much more defined tone on this compared to a floating trem Strat. My Muddy is about as heavy as my Gibson LP.....about over 8 pounds. I also think the CAR finish has something to do with how absolutely spanky that baby gets. Seriously it's pure magic to play. It inspires you to play stuff you didn't think was possible. It has stock pickups in the neck and bridge that sound wonderful. I can play anything with this guitar. Bridge stuff is just freakin' awesome....bridge/middle very sparkly....and the neck just plain SMOKES. It also sports a fine set of vintage Fender/Gotoh tuners. The Muddy Waters Telecaster is probably the best guitar for the blues period! I've learned that the Telecaster is one versatile instrument. I never owned a Tele until I found this one.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So if you had to pick between your tele and your les paul for ONE guitar to diversify guitar ownership from a strat, which would you pick?, and why?

EDIT: Dang, I passed 500 posts in the last day or two and didn't even notice.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    So if you had to pick between your tele and your les paul for ONE guitar to diversify guitar ownership from a strat, which would you pick?, and why?

EDIT: Dang, I passed 500 posts in the last day or two and didn't even notice.
    I would be torn but I'd probably have to say my Tele. BUT when I stand around playing some blues the Gibson is right at home with that too. I just come down on the volume knob for a lot of that stuff and utilize all the pickup position choices...either both neck and bridge or just neck. Bridge goes a long way as well. You can blues out or rock out with the Les Paul thats for damn sure. GEE DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE ME CHOOSE?! heh But sure I'd take the Tele to a show or a studio.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually prefer the tele configuration because I am always bumping the switch on my strat out of the neck position by accident. (I dont play it that much, though) On the tele I can hook the switch from underneath with my pinky when it's in the bridge position.
    Also, the gap between the pots makes for easy swells.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tele Control Plate switch

I too didn't like the layout from the factory. I turned my plate 180 degrees & now the order is like this:

3-way switch nearest Jack (rear)
    Tone in the middel
    Volume nearest the neck (front)
    BTW- I'm a Lefty and those are Glendale Saddles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fendermojoman
    BTW- I'm a Lefty
    Well theres your problem, your stuff is installed upside down/backwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Right brained

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    Well theres your problem, your stuff is installed upside down/backwards.
    Ain't it the truth! But if I play in front of a big mirror I'm back to normal. Now if I can just find my left hand chromatic tuner . . . . . . .
    Agile AL3000 Lefty
    Alvarez RD20L Lefty
    Blueridge BR-70 Lefty
    FenderMIM Strat Lefty
    LTD Viper400 Lefty
    Fender 50th Deluxe Lefty
    Fender MIM Telecaster Lefty
    Line6 Spider lll 75 righty
    VOX AD50VT 212 righty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Control Plate Option

I bought a set of the finest Strat PUPS from this guy and now look what he has!
    www.kinman.com
    Agile AL3000 Lefty
    Alvarez RD20L Lefty
    Blueridge BR-70 Lefty
    FenderMIM Strat Lefty
    LTD Viper400 Lefty
    Fender 50th Deluxe Lefty
    VOX AD50VT 212 righty

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty smart too. Kinnman stuff is awesome.

I still don't understand why it's so difficult to just drill the holes closer together. Who needs that kind of room between the knobs? Do the companies think all Tele players have pudgy fingers of something?

Post Thanks / Like

I too didn't like the layout from the factory. I turned my plate 180 degrees & now the order is like this:

Tone in the middel
    I like this idea. I think I'll try it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Tone in the middel
    Hey FenderMojo, was there enough slack in the wiring to just flip it ?

thanks

Ted

Post Thanks / Like

When I watched the Brent Mason Podcast I noticed that he had his control knobs further from the switch and closer together.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wire Slack

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    Hey FenderMojo, was there enough slack in the wiring to just flip it ?

thanks

Ted
    Not for every wire but, but it was moot for me-while I had it "out" I replaced all pots and cap with an upgrade kit from RS guitarworks. It even came with a Hoveland yellow cap!!!! Now my Seymour Vintage Stacks really come to life and no hum either!
    Last edited by fendermojoman; February 25th, 2007 at 01:08 AM.
    Agile AL3000 Lefty
    Alvarez RD20L Lefty
    Blueridge BR-70 Lefty
    FenderMIM Strat Lefty
    LTD Viper400 Lefty
    Fender 50th Deluxe Lefty
    VOX AD50VT 212 righty

Post Thanks / Like

You can change the standard control plate:

To this one that has the volume pot's hole closer to the tone pot's one:

MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Amps: Fender Deluxe Reverb II, Tech21 TM30
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:
    http://www.blackframe.gr

Personal Myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/eliasavdikos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast