Thread: Santana style

Post Thanks / Like

Default Santana style

Hello,

Well this is my third attempt at playing a lead. This one was quite long for my limited experience but I actually made it through finally and got excited to put it up. Here come the excuses. The key was limiting to me so it is pretty much in the middle of the neck. I have been working around a bit but still not comfortable in this key. There are quite a few repeats but I had a ball with this backing track. I picked it up off the web and I am sorry I do not remember where I got it. It is called Santana Style.
    I used my '51 in the mid position with my ad50vt on Boutique OD with the gain around 3:00. Still trying to get a good smooth grit without going too far.
    I hope ya like it.

http://webpages.charter.net/tankm4/myno3.mp3

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That was great, M29! Great tone, great vibe, and lead playing!
    Thanks for sharing this one, your "third attempt at playing a lead" was a definite success in my book. Tasty stuff! More soon, I hope?
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice M29.

I feel like I'm in a Latino James Bond movie. Right you are M29. This one has me a little stirred - not shaken.

Do you have the blank track so that we can play with it too?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

What are you apologizing for?
    You posted a really good clip and your playing is emotional.

Seeing this through the eyes of a "pure" listener, I did not figure that you were not used to the key.

I enjoyed this track - was leaning back in my chair, watching out the window of my office, listening to your track, having a coffe and feeling good.

Thanx man.

Jimi

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

Thank you for the kind words guys, it has been a long time since I posted any of my stuff. I am glad you like it. I really enjoy this style it feels like there is a lot of freedom in it. I created an account with that box.net site, my site if limited in capacity. Here is a link to the bare backing track. http://www.box.net/public/n8tz382kp6

I have been trying to do some stuff with my own playing as the backing track but man, it is tough trying to learn a drum machine program and Audacity too as well as progressing on the guitar and now I have a bass to learn. Whew! It sure is a good time though.
    Thank you again guys, I haven't been able to keep up with all you guys tracks there is a lot of great playing going on here and I want to thank you all for your efforts that inspire and encourage me.

I love the blues and I have been working on a slow blues almost every day and I just can't seem to make it happen the way I want to. I am trying to work on short licks with lots of feel and trying to keep from running on. Hopefully I can add a blues next time.

Thank you again all for your kind words.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

M29, you play with feeling dude! Very smooth tone.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

If thats only your third attempt at putting down a lead , you've got no problems
    Keep bumbin and keep them coming

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

Thanks guys. I should probably clarify my third attempt, I have been back to playing the guitar almost a year now. I dabbled in it many years ago picking up this and that but never really stuck with it. This is the third time I played a lead in public or in a recording I should say. I have been practicing like crazy over the last year.

Thanks again all and thanks Robert for providing this site for us to learn in.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

hey thats what I meant still got a good vibe

Post Thanks / Like

You got that 51 singing and your playing set the mood. Good chops too! Now you who were inspired have become an inspiration to others, like me. Really well done. Post those blues, man, we'd love to hear ya.
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like

Inspired I am, and loving M's tone and take, here is my Santanatry at this loooooong BT.

http://www.box.net/public/537yalftu7
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Sorry I missed this earlier. Very nice & Santasty M n' Hog.

Hog what settings & gear did you use?

Post Thanks / Like

thats sounds great m! really nice tone....

how did you record the track? was it mic'd or from the line out on the amp...

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, good job Hogfulloblues! I think you captured the tone on that one, sounded close to me! My question's the same as TOT's, what were yer settings? What did you use?
    Great playing, thanks for sharing guys!
    You guys got me inspired to try my fumble-fingers on this one.

http://www.box.net/public/pvi2ybld2y
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, another sweet tone and take, great playin OG.
    I used the G&L strat, middle and neck pickups with the treble rolled off to cut the twang, everything else full on.
    The tone was from the miracle machine PODxt that I downloaded called Bluesy Tone Telecaster with lots of effects and EQing that I must confess I really don't even understand. It would take a full page to list all the knob settings and such. Sheesh, my newbieness is showing and I'm feeling a bit useless here. So the best I can manage is showing the tone this way:

http://www.box.net/public/iydu2gdkpb

And the actual tone file itself for download if anyone with Line 6 software wants it:

http://www.box.net/public/78hpxxhl8i

Sorry about that. But still a testament to how easy and versatile this POD is even for me.

Yamaha G240
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like

Wow great stuff Hogfullofblues and oldguy. I love hearing different takes it inspires new directions, thanks guys. Very nice indeed!!

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone sounds great!

OG - Excellent as usual.

Hog - with your playing and tone, I'm not believing this "newbie" thing any more

M- Had trouble downloading the file. I'll work harder at it and give it a listen.

I love what these tone boxes can do. Since getting my m-audio black box and my Vox AD30VT, it has (temporarily) cooled my raging desire to get another guitar due to the variety of tones I can get out of just my '51. Aside from all the tones the black box can do, I discovered "bypass" mode which allows me to take a line out of my AD30VT and go into the black box to record on the computer, without the black box doing anything to color the tone. By the way, musiciansfriend has the black box for $179, including the pedal board. I'm sure it is no PodXT, but it has many different amp models and effects (especially after you update the firmware to "reloaded"), it has many built in rythms, it has very low system requirements, USB, and seems easy to operate. My Mac Mini has no audio input, so I had to get something with USB.

I'd love to get this BT. Has it been posted to the BT section already?
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone sounds great!

OG - Excellent as usual.

Hog - with your playing and tone, I'm not believing this "newbie" thing any more

M- Had trouble downloading the file. I'll work harder at it and give it a listen.

I love what these tone boxes can do. Since getting my m-audio black box and my Vox AD30VT, it has (temporarily) cooled my raging desire to get another guitar due to the variety of tones I can get out of just my '51. Aside from all the tones the black box can do, I discovered "bypass" mode which allows me to take a line out of my AD30VT and go into the black box to record on the computer, without the black box doing anything to color the tone. By the way, musiciansfriend has the black box for $179, including the pedal board. I'm sure it is no PodXT, but it has many different amp models and effects (especially after you update the firmware to "reloaded"), it has many built in rythms, it has very low system requirements, USB, and seems easy to operate. My Mac Mini has no audio input, so I had to get something with USB.

I'd love to get this BT. Has it been posted to the BT section already?
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasongins
    Yeah, I don't think Hog can claim newbie status much longer.
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals