Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Epiphone Les Paul question...

Thread: Epiphone Les Paul question...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epiphone Les Paul question...

I was looking at these today, and the body material on the LP Custom was listed as mahogany/alder.

Does this mean the body is like a mahogany/alder laminate, like plywood, or is it a layer of mahogany, a carved alder top, with a maple veneer?

That has always been a little confusing to me. Thanks for the replies!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Kata - The body is mahogany and the cap on top of that is alder.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the times they come with a mahogany neck. Some models do have alder bodies. Others are mahogany with a maple cap. I've never heard of a ply Epi Les Paul. I don't think there are any.

I think on that guitar(custom) it is an alder body.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Kata - Also it would seem that the "flame" modeled custom sports a "flame maple top" to add further confusion......but I'm thinking that the solid colored customs are of the mahogany body with alder cap variety based on some ad descriptions I've seen. At any rate I like the wine colored custom and the flame maple custom from the website. I also really liked the limited edition custom plus on the musiciansfriend website.

Attachment 857

Attachment 858
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    or is it a layer of mahogany, a carved alder top, with a maple veneer?
    Bingo. It's a mahogany body (not necessarily one solid piece) with the alder top and flame maple veneer.

Oh, and make sure you get to play the one you plan on buying. I went in to check out the Wine Red and Cherryburst customs and ended up putting a regular Standard on layaway, instead (which I'll be picking up on my birthday in a couple of weeks here). The Customs I tried just didn't play well at all. The action was set a little high on one and was getting fret buzz while the other was just set real high (probably to counter even worse fret buzz). While that might be able to be fixed with a pro setup, it might not. I figured why take the chance and instead grabbed a standard that played like a dream right out of the box for 200 bucks less.

The point is, quality seems to vary from guitar to guitar, and while it's true for many brands, Epi's are like that as much if not more. But when you get a winner, you definitely got a winner.

Oh, and that schmancy gold hardware? It rubs off and gets to looking pretty nasty.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom Guitar

• Tuners : Grover
    • Fingerboard : Rosewood
    • Neck : 1-pc Mahogany, 22 fret
    • Neck Joint : Set, 16th fret
    • Nut : 1-11/16", Bone
    • Scale : 24-3/4"
    • Top : Book-Matched Maple
    • Back : Book-Matched African Mahogany
    • Rhythm PU : 50SR (Gibson-made USA Humbucker)
    • Treble PU : 60ST (Gibson-made USA Humbucker)
    • Controls : 2-V, 2-T; 3-Way Pickup Selector
    • Machine heads : Grover
    • Hardware : 24k Gold
    • Finishes : Ebony, Alpine White, Wine Red

Don't buy a guitar before you know what you're buying!
    www.TopGuitars.info = Find hundreds of reviews on electric, acoustic & bass guitars