Thread: Anyone love the Mule?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone love the Mule?

I think Warren Haynes is an incredible player, and good singer/songwriter, too. Anyone else here wild about his improv with Gov't Mule and the Allman Brothers Band?
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely! IMHO, Warren Haynes is probably the hardest-working guitar player in the business today. Surprisingly, helliot, you didn't mention anything about Warren's incredible tone, which blends perfectly with his playing style. Anyone who's interested in hearing some of Mr. Haynes' fantastic chops should direct themselves to any one of the Mule's incredible studio releases, or recent ABB studio efforts (from 1991's Shades of Two Worlds and on, I believe, feature WH on guitar.)

I saw the ABB two summers ago in support of their Hittin' The Note release, and they put on an amazing show. With WH and Derek Trucks in tandem on regular electric & bottle-neck slide, my head was literally spinning from the sheer genius of these two players. Hittin' The Note kind of floats under the radar for a lot of die-hard ABB fans, but I think its one of their most substantial, not to mention inspiring efforts in recent history. The sound, while fresh, is classic Allman Bros. Definitely check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add my thumbs up for da Mule & Warren (both of them).
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, very talented dude. I also dig Greg Allman, excellent hammond work.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Default Warren's the bomb

Yes, he's got awsome tone, and amazing technique. That about does it, right? There's rarely a wasted note. I've seen him with both bands, and it's always either enough to make me want to hang it up, or keep 'shedding. The latter prevails so far.
    If there's anyone who's not intimate with Mr. Haynes and his LP, ES or Explorer, any album is a good bet, including the new one, High and Mighty. If you can't catch a show (Mule's finished their east leg on this tour, next will be ABB this spring and summer), there's a couple of good dvds that get close to the real thing. One is ABB, with Warren and Derek absolutely burning down the Beacon Theatre . The other is the Mule DVD, the Deepest End, with some of the greatest working bassists joining Mule onstage. There's tons of solos to bask in, but one of the best on the Mule live DVD is at the end of a great song, Beautifully Broken. Also, if you're net cruising, look out for an awsome boot of Mule doing 30 Days in the Hole, the old Humble Pie standard. Warren rips that up.
    This last a question for wiser fretheads than me: I've tried to track Warren's rig, including in the GP feature recently, but haven't got the whole picture yet. He twins a couple of cool amps, but there's lots more. Anyone have the comprehensive scoop, including effects and tunings?
    I've also got a recent fever to learn lots more about Steve Morse. Any Morse fanatics around?
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah