Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Headphones for recording

Thread: Headphones for recording

Post Thanks / Like

Default Headphones for recording

All you groovy studio studs listen up..... What set of headphones would you suggest to someone that needs something better than an old pair of Sony Walkman headphones with the ear foam missing on both sides. You guys's recordings are SICK MAN and I want to get back into it too! But I need a really good set of headphones. Anything special you'd suggest?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I use Sony MDR-110's. Cheap at Wal-Mart. Not really what I recommend, just what I use...
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    I use Sony MDR-110's. Cheap at Wal-Mart. Not really what I recommend, just what I use...

Well if thats what you're using then I want some too because your RP recordings RULE! *does a search on those Sonys for some images*

DOH....my foamless Sonys are MDR-101s So I don't need no stinkin' fancy headphones that would make me look like a test pilot then?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I´ve always loved Beyerdynamics.. But at the moment I am using a pair of low cost SilverCrest headphones that works ok.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I have been doing lately is checking what I record through the headphones, and then through the PC speakers. If it sounds bad to my ears in either one, I try and redo the EQ to compensate.(Translation-erase it and start over.)
    Another thing... instead of leaving either the guitar, or else the rhythm track, right "down the middle" ,you might want to try making a copy of one or the other, making sure it's in sync w/ it's twin, then pan one hard left and the other hard right. It seems to give a more spacious sound to the recording, IMO. I usually do this to the lead guitar if I'm going to do it. It's a little like running your amphs in stereo across the stage, I guess, getting some separation sound-wise.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    I´ve always loved Beyerdynamics.. But at the moment I am using a pair of low cost SilverCrest headphones that works ok.
    Are you talkin' Uberheadphones buddy? Show me a pic...I wanna see.

I'm thinking the headphones should at least have great frequency range. I like hearing those sexy lows in the 18Hz chake my chakra range and the highs up in the 20khz area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    One thing I have been doing lately is checking what I record through the headphones, and then through the PC speakers. If it sounds bad to my ears in either one, I try and redo the EQ to compensate.(Translation-erase it and start over.)
    Another thing... instead of leaving either the guitar, or else the rhythm track, right "down the middle" ,you might want to try making a copy of one or the other, making sure it's in sync w/ it's twin, then pan one hard left and the other hard right. It seems to give a more spacious sound to the recording, IMO. I usually do this to the lead guitar if I'm going to do it. It's a little like running your amphs in stereo across the stage, I guess, getting some separation sound-wise.
    Good points to look out for OhGEE. Panning various mixes on your tracks really fills up that "stage" nicely. Great tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up *good* recording headphones

I personally use ... Sony MDR-7506, but I would also use AKG K 141, and Sennheiser HD-280 in a pinch.

Sony MDR-7506 @ Musician's Friend - $99.00

AKG K 141 @ Musician's Friend - $99.00

Sennheiser HD-280 @ Musician's Friend - $99.00
    Last edited by NPauly; January 25th, 2007 at 08:14 PM. Reason: tyops toyps tyosp
    My Gear ...
    Roland Micro Cube, Traynor YCV20WR
    Ovation Cedar Balladeer, "Super-cute" Fender Strat, Squier M-80

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Sony MDR-V700 DJ -- perfect for loud shows

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    I'm thinking the headphones should at least have great frequency range. I like hearing those sexy lows in the 18Hz chake my chakra range and the highs up in the 20khz area.
    if you really want good bass below the 20Hz range then these are the headphones for you ...

Sony MDR-V700 @ Musician's Friend - $98.99

I use a pair of these on louder concerts and events. They have a great seal over the ear and the frequency response is perfect for loud mixes ... not exactly flat response, but more than adequate for most loud shows or modern studio mixes.

If you want a perfectly flat response see the headphones I listed before ...
    My Gear ...

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Sony 7506 too. Awesome cans - not like Pamela Anderson, but still pretty good.

Super for watching movies with so as not to disturb the gang too. I usually pull one cup off an ear to see if the house is rockin or if it's still just in my headphones. The lows are so good I swear that the speakers are still on at times.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Are you talkin' Uberheadphones buddy? Show me a pic...I wanna see.

I had the old version of the DTX-900 headphones, they look like this:

and shouldnt set you back more than a 100 dollars. Unfortunately mine are broken after 10 years of use, so I´m in the market for a new pair.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Grado SR-60 is a great pair of cheap rock cans at $69:

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-ma...rado-sr-60.php

They fold up neat if you need to travel with them.

If you need sealed cans the aforementioned Sennheiser HD280-Pro is a good bet at $99:

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-ma...hd-280-pro.php

"The HD280Pro has also long been the headphone choice of audio, film and field recording/mixing professionals due to its accurate tonal presentation, ambient noise attenuation properties and ultra-durable build quality. All in all, a true workhorse of a sealed-back headphone at a really hard-to-beat price."

I haven't heard anything about the Sony's that were mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Sony MDR-7506 = Pro Headphones ... seriously ...

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I haven't heard anything about the Sony's that were mentioned.
    Here's the scoop on the Sony MDR-7506 headphones ...

I have been a live sound engineer for over 10 years now. More recently I have been earning my keep by mixing jazz concerts with musicians such as Russell Malone, Buckey Pizzarelli, John Pizzarelli, Gene Bertoncini, Frank Vignola, Jay Leonhart, & Wycliffe Gordon. I have mixed and/or system engineered festivals/concerts featuring Buddy Guy, The Blind Boys from Alabama, Jeff Tweedy, Nels Cline, Wilco, Cat Power, John Mayer, Norah Jones, Ryan Adams, and many many others. I toured for over a year with the most recent North American tour of Miss Saigon. I recently supervised the construction of the sound systems for the most recent Big League Theatricals tour of Disney's Aida. I worked at/for Universal Studios, Disney World, the House of Blues, and the Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando, FL (my home state). I have designed many regional theatrical production -- both full musicals and straight plays. I have worked with both Acme Sound Partners and Tony Meola on theatrical/musical sound systems. I have run sound for the New York Public Theatre's Shakespeare in the Park Festival and the Tony Award winning revival of The Pajama Game. I have built shows at all of the major sound shops in the New York City area -- Masque Sound, Sound Associates, PRG Audio, and One Dream Sound.

Everyone and I mean everyone I know uses Sony MDR-7506 headphones. Whenever you request a set of headphones be included with a basic festival/concert sound package there is a 99.999% chance that they will be Sony MDR-7506s. They are used in studios, on live events, on television sets, and in radio stations (although I will admit that the AKG K240S & K141S are both a little more popular in the radio realm).

That's the scoop ...

But try out a few and get what you want/need -- that's why I listed several different headphones. Just remember, while the Sonys are the professional audio equivalent of the Les Paul or Stratocaster, we all know that the Les Paul and the Stratocaster aren't the only game in town.
    Last edited by NPauly; January 26th, 2007 at 10:48 PM. Reason: tyops toyps typos
    My Gear ...

Post Thanks / Like

You win NPauly! I'd check out them Sonys!

BTW, do you have a favorite inexpensive mixing board for home use?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Small Format Mixer

You win NPauly! I'd check out them Sonys!
    LOL! No competition intended, just perspective and advice ...

BTW, do you have a favorite inexpensive mixing board for home use?
    I personally have a used Yamaha O1V that I picked up last year for considerably less than the current retail price, but I'm sure it's probably more than your looking for. I honestly haven't looked at smaller format mixers in a number of years, but the local sound shops seem to prefer to rent small format mixers from Yamaha, Mackie, and Soundcraft and that's probably a good indication of either cheap replacement cost or durability, but as to which it is, your guess is as good as mine.
    My Gear ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NPauly
    LOL! No competition intended, just perspective and advice ...
    & some perspective it was!
    Quote Originally Posted by NPauly
    but I'm sure it's probably more than your looking for.
    As you can tell from my other post I do already have another mixer that I'm having a bit of trouble with. I was just looking for some of that patented perspective!