Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Rickenbackers, whose got one?

Thread: Rickenbackers, whose got one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Rickenbackers, whose got one?

Who here owns, has owned, or has played, a Rickenbacker? Any kind. I am especially curious about the 360 semi-hollowbody. After listening to a bunch of Beatles the last day or so, just had to find out a little more.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Red face RIC syndrome

I don't have but I'm on the lookout for a CherryGlo 360 Lefthand!

There is a guitat shop near me that has 2 CherryGlo RH Clones for sale called "Riff". They are new and are $400 each. I played on 1 of them and they actually sounded really good and look just like the real thing!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to play a Ric. Some folx say that the Godin Raditor (which I have) has a "ricish" sound. But they also say it is telelike, or gretchy, or kinda daneletric. I dunno having not played any of those others.

I'd love to play a Ric, please send me one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fendermojoman
    I don't have but I'm on the lookout for a CherryGlo 360 Lefthand!

There is a guitat shop near me that has 2 CherryGlo RH Clones for sale called "Riff". They are new and are $400 each. I played on 1 of them and they actually sounded really good and look just like the real thing!

Cool! I'll need to keep my eye out for those when I get to some areas with some shops. Not much out here in Idaho.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Rickenbacker Clones

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Cool! I'll need to keep my eye out for those when I get to some areas with some shops. Not much out here in Idaho.
    I've never seen them anywhere else, there are 2 Cherry Glo ones at Superior Music in Mt. Juliet, TN just like the Ric 360/6 strings, same bridge and headstock too. If they were Lefty's I would buy one for myself.
    Agile AL3000 Lefty
    Alvarez RD20L Lefty
    Blueridge BR-70 Lefty
    FenderMIM Strat Lefty
    LTD Viper400 Lefty
    Fender 50th Deluxe Lefty
    Fender MIM Telecaster Lefty
    Line6 Spider lll 75 righty
    VOX AD50VT 212 righty

Post Thanks / Like

Dude! Do you know how much a Ric costs? I stay away for fear that I'll want one if I play one. Or even worse, I'll want two.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could but they are out of my price range
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Played a couple Rick (basses) that belonged to friends. Always wanted to get one and still have one on my list!

BTW - got to play with one of the Rickenbacker rep's and Chris Squire in a sound booth at a NAMM convention in the early 80's. I was BS'ing with the "Rick" dude and foolin' around with an axe and in walks Chris Squire. He was actually there to promote a line of products. Mind you, I wasn't the hugest YES fan, but when Chris Squire walks in and says, let's jam for a while... ... well, you friggn jam for a while! It was awsome, because no one else even entered the booth for a while. Then when people noticed who was in there, they were backed up 10 thick all the way around the (transparent) booth. I'll bet they were all thinking, who the heck is that guy playing with Chris Squire. Funny! There was probably rampant speculation that I was the new YES guitar player or something. Actually I was playing a bass, but you know what I mean!

Cool times...

Sculpin

OH! BTW - The Rick 4001's & 4003's have sweet action, smooth fretboard and neck and that punchy hearty Rickenbacker sound. I love em and I will have one someday.
    Last edited by sculpin; March 3rd, 2007 at 06:37 AM. Reason: clarification on type/model

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Dude! Do you know how much a Ric costs? I stay away for fear that I'll want one if I play one. Or even worse, I'll want two.
    I got this Ric 620 in an even trade for an Epi Flying V:

The Epi I'd previously purchased used (w/ohsc) for $250! Now admittedly the V was in VG+ condition, and this '91 Ric has been rode hard and put away wet, with lots of dings, sticker "ghosts," surface rust (bridge), metal finish flake-off (tailpiece), but it's still playable.

So, "Never say never."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Way Cool! Who cares if it has a little character. All the better! As you say, you never know. I am still being open to running across that back bedroom Martin rosewood dreadnought, aged just to perfection. I know they are around this town.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Way Cool! Who cares if it has a little character. All the better! As you say, you never know. I am still being open to running across that back bedroom Martin rosewood dreadnought, aged just to perfection. I know they are around this town.
    They're out there!

The Ric was one of my better deals, just fell into my lap. I was actually trying to sell the Flying V to fund a different purchase I'd already made, and an old acquaintance from the local scene offered the trade. I had missed buying a similar Ric 620 (except in blue) a couple years earlier, also on the local market, for $400, for lack of funds, so I sussed my sideband lead singer to the deal and he bought it. So now we have matching 620's! Or mix-and-matching anyhow.

Here's a pic of him playing his blue one: