Trem, I may have followed your lead by mentioning songs of the lesser-known variety by artists we are familiar with (for the most part). However, there are a couple of nuggets here, too. I also didn't have the time to do the clip links, but did try and list the CD / LP on which they were released. In most cases, Amazon.com will have sound clips of each - just be sure and search their "Popular Music" section. Here goes:

1. Carnival - Natalie Merchant (Tigerlily) - The guitar work on this song (and album) is some of the best I've ever heard. Fabulous tone, wonderful technique, emotionally expressive. The solo is an easy "10", too. If you are unfamiliar with Natalie, she used to front the band "10,000 Maniacs", another fine outfit in their own right.

2. Little Dreamer - Van Halen (Van Halen I) - Eddie tends to lay back in the pocket a bit on this number, but I'm listing it purely for the song aspect. When all the gears meshed in the VH inner-structure, stuff like this happened. Sure, the guitar's great - but it's the DLR vocal that brings this baby to life.

3. Blind Man In The Dark - Gov't Mule (Dose) - Warren Haynes may be THE most underrated of guitarist of recent day. His awesome chops and fine vocals are fully on display during this number, which is also one of the band's live staples.

4. By Your Side - The Black Crowes (By Your Side) - Although this may be one of the band's lesser-known studio releases, it sure packs a serious wallop of sound. The Crowes were in fine form on this particular number, which featured several of the band's trademarks - Chris' Sunday sermon vocals, a full contingent of fine female background singers, and the crunchy, soulful guitar work of Rich Robinson.

5. Midnight Moonlight Lady - The Firm (The Firm) - In the mid 80's, Jimmy Page and Paul Rogers came together to form the band "The Firm". As one could imagine, a band with these two artists in tow could not help but sound good. This particular song was my favorite off of that LP.

6. What Do You Want From Me? - Pink Floyd (The Division Bell) - Floyd purists are quick to criticize post-Roger Waters Floyd, but I for one think they were fantastic. This song draws on several Floyd classics as far as sound is concerned, and features some of David Gilmour's best new-era Floyd guitar playing.

7. Down To The Waterline - Dire Straits (Dire Straits) - If anyone can paint a picture with words and music, its Mark Knopfler. "Sultans of Swing" was the mongo hit off of this LP, but tucked quietly in back of the set was this gem. If the lyrics won't do you in, then Mark's slick Telecaster guitar work will.

8. Junior's Farm - Wings (released as a single in Oct. 1974) - Beatle afficianados are always dumping on Paul McCartney's work in Wings, and personally, I don't know why. Sir Paul's lyrics may have been more pop-geared during this period, but the music itself is solid, and the tunes are catchy. This song may be one of the best of the Wings lot.

9. Still In Love With You - Thin Lizzy (Life / Live ) - The first part of the song is a lush, guitar-fueled ballad done in classic Lizzy style. The second part of of the song changes tempo, and evolves into a guitar clinic between Lizzy's trio of axemen - Gary Moore, John Sykes, and Snowy White. Awesome stuff!

10. Even It Up - Heart (Bebe le Strange) - Heart may just be the most underrated rock n' roll outfit of the 70's. Although they later adapted their style to be more MTV-friendly, their early material far outshined anything they did with a video to match. "Even It Up" showcases the fantastic vocals, catchy guitar hooks, and awesome song-writing skills that were a trademark of their earlier, pre-"Passionworks" material. Man, is Nancy Wilson still hot or what!!