Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Your favorite modeling for recording "amph" - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your favorite modeling for recording "amph"

Post Thanks / Like

I have a POD 2. To be honest, I don't think it sounds very authentic. You can get some decent sounds out of it, but as far as replicating classic amps, that's a different story. But IDK, once you add all the extra processing (FX, compression, EQ) and then a bunch of other instruments, the finer details just get masked anyway.

I also use a bunch of sim VSTs:

SimuAnalog JCM900 and Fender Twin
    BTE Audio TS-808
    Aradaz

These are all free. The TS-808 sim is very good.
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd strongly suggest anybody with a DAW to check out Amplitube 3.

It really doesn't work all that well when playing into it, but if you record a dry guitar and then apply Amplitube as a plugin onto it, it's nothing short of incredible IMO. Because you can tweak the sound ad nauseam _completely_ you can really dial in tones you'd have to spend weeks with in front of an amp. Any effect combo as well at a click of a mouse, and all 100% reversible and changeable at any time, nothing committed to track.

Our guitarist records _everything_ these days so that whatever rig he plays through, the signal is also split into two right at the start so that he records also a completely dry signal. When it's all done, he says, 99% of the time he'll end up only using the Amplitube sound after all, perhaps mixing in some of his rig to create another doubled track.

That's what I've been doing with the latest songs...and the resuts sure make me smile so far. I could _never_ record such nice sounds 'live' unless I had a million-dollar studio and days of time - but these I get in 10 seconds flat with no gear whatsoever but the DAW and a guitar with a cord.

Here's a quick demo I did for a new song, just last night recorded the guitars...and it was a matter of just playing it thru and then quickly pull some amp models on the plugin. It's pretty low drive all the way thru and really boring since it has no lyrics, just mumbled something over it as I played, and drums yet...at 2:40 there is a bridge part but no solo as of yet. But I'm using maybe 5 different Amplitube presets on the song.

http://deeaa.pp.fi/lzm/CanWait/canwa...r_drumless.mp3
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Deaa

Great idea , what i tend to do is recorded the guitar with overdrive then put it though guitar rig. Create two tracks by coping the wav file and then assign each track to a different amp and effects. On the second track i add a slight delay and then pan each track to the left and right.

This creates a great sounding song and sounds like two guitar players in unison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Indeed, I have also used Guitar Rig like that. Also on bass etc. it is great...but now I've switched over to Amplitube 3. They are very similar though, basically.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Everything recorded on my links below was done with one of these. It does a great job and they can now be found dirt cheap.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Definitely getting some real nice tones with it Spud...nice indeed!
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

I have been advised that using a tube mic preamp is vital to a good recording. Any truth to that?
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I have been advised that using a tube mic preamp is vital to a good recording. Any truth to that?
    IMO, not much. I do use a dbx 378 tube preamp for most anything I record but an el cheapo tube pre will only make it worse, not better. Most really really good pres are not tube.

BUT a good tube pre can give it nice warmth and presence.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Suhnton
    I have a POD 2. To be honest, I don't think it sounds very authentic. You can get some decent sounds out of it, but as far as replicating classic amps, that's a different story. But IDK, once you add all the extra processing (FX, compression, EQ) and then a bunch of other instruments, the finer details just get masked anyway.

I also use a bunch of sim VSTs:

SimuAnalog JCM900 and Fender Twin
    BTE Audio TS-808
    Aradaz

These are all free. The TS-808 sim is very good.
    I agree, and also...a pod xt is IMO a big improvement over 2.0. But the x3 is not much better than 2.0. It seems, with the 2 you best use some speaker emulators as well.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Behringer GM110..inexpensive, has DI and the clean channel is superb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Anybody know how does the GX110 compare with the GM?
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    Everything recorded on my links below was done with one of these. It does a great job and they can now be found dirt cheap.

Hey Spudman I realize this an old post but I only just spotted it & had a listen to your songs on Soundclick.
    Just like to say great playing & singing mate I especially loved your Day of The Eagle cover as I am a big Trower fan & that was a top effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Vizier View Post
    Hey Spudman I realize this an old post but I only just spotted it & had a listen to your songs on Soundclick.
    Just like to say great playing & singing mate I especially loved your Day of The Eagle cover as I am a big Trower fan & that was a top effort.
    Why thank you good sir.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I was not a big fan of modeling software I have had some of the early Zoom pedals & it was fizzy central. Now I have Line6 Podfarm initially I thought it was ordinary but after spending a bit of time setting up amps/pedals/cabs/mics etc I think it is quite brilliant, not compared to my tube amp but very good for headphone/recording purposes.
    For the money, not a brass razoo! (Free download Podfarm via Line6 Monkey ) Plus I brought an expansion pak, I reckon it is a bargain.
    Last edited by The Grand Vizier; September 22nd, 2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Left a bit out!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123