Thread: Advice for budding slide players?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice for budding slide players?

I can play a little bit of slide on what I deem simple slide songs, such as Traveling Riverside Blues & In My Time of Dying by Led Zeppelin. I’ve been told these tunes are the equivalent to playing Ramones stuff when it comes to slide. I want to stop being a hack and finally learn how to play "real" slide so I could perform slide guitar in a blues jam. I’m limited to standard playing at the moment.

Can any of you offer some guidance to a pupil of blues slide guitar?

I've been jamming to Muddy Waters and experimenting using my 12-String acoustic, but just don’t seem to be “getting it”. Are some basic techniques I should be conscious of?

I look forward to hearing from you!
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm no seasoned slide player, but I suggest playing in open E. It takes some getting used to, but it gives you a lot more opportunities for licks than a standard tuning does. Set up the guitar with high action, and use heavy strings if you can. I use a heavy brass slide, and it makes it a lot easier and better sounding than those more common thin slides. After that, just start listening to slide players and figure out some licks!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Robert!

I never thought of high action ever being a good thing, especially with my carpel tunnel and all. However it makes total sense and explains why I kept suffering from so much fret buzz. I'll raise the action on my 51'/Strat hybrid and give it a try.

Can you think of any recommended songs to learn to help develop my skills?

I remember an old VHS tape called "The A.R.M.S. Concert" from 1982 with Eric Clapto, Jimmy Page, and a host of others all jamming at the same time. EC played this awesome slide song which made me want to learn slide. I wish I knew the name of the damn song.

Again, thank you oh master!

-t (aka "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! I'm scum! I'm not worthy")
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix