Thread: practice tools...recorder, looper?

Post Thanks / Like

Default practice tools...recorder, looper?

I'm looking into adding some gear to make my practice experience a little more rewarding and fun. I'd like something that's versatile (integrated features to lay down multiple tracks, phrase trainer, drum machine, etc.). Not sure if I should be investing in a stand-alone mulittrack recorder with these capabilities (e.g. Boss BR-600) or in a looper pedal with recording capabilities (e.g. Digitech Jamman). What sort of gear are y'all using for practice/recording? I saw Robert's great demo of the Jamman on his site. Anyone have other experience with these products?

Thanks.

Guitars: 2001 Fender Fat Strat (MiM), Epi Les Paul Plus Top, 2004 Taylor 310ce, Washburn Rover
    Amps: Vox AD50VT, Fender Blues Jr.
    Pedals/Gear: DVM's ZYS, Fulltone OCD, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q, Boss TU-2, Digitech JamMan, Presonus TubePre, Boss BR-600

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Scorona (sung to the tune of My Sharona),

Great thread. I guess the first question is do you have access to a computer while playing or not?

I don't.

The two things that really take a practise session to the next level are some sort of drum machine and an ability to record at least a few minutes of playing.

The nice thing about a looper (I have the Boos RC-2) is that you can control everything with your feet & it makes a nice live tool when you have the chops. You also run it in front of your amp (although the drum sounds get ratty if the have has any significant gain).

I haven't had any experience with multitrack recorders. Anyone?
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; January 27th, 2007 at 01:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Hi Scorona (sung to the tune of My Sharona),
    Haven't heard that since high school... ;-)
    Great thread. I geuss the first question is do you have access to a computer while playing or not?
    Yes, but I'd rather spend less time sitting in front of a computer (since I do that for a living). I'm getting a little "old school" on this...I'd rather have something with real dials and switches, etc. I'll use the computer for transfer or final mixdown.

The two things that really take a practise session to the next level are some sort of drum machine and an ability to record at least a few minutes of playing.
    I have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine, that I feed into my computer's sound card, but it would be nice to have a drum machine built into the recording device, like the Boss BR600.

The nice thing about a looper (I have the Boos RC-2) is that you can control everything with your feet & it makes a nice live tool when you have the chops. You also run it in front of your amp (although the drum sounds get ratty if the have has any significant gain).
    How are the drum sounds in general? Do you get preset patterns to use or that you can load?

I would have to invest in some effects pedals to use in front of the looper, right? (i.e. I wouldn't be able to use the effects on my Vox amp).

Thanks for the reply.

Guitars: 2001 Fender Fat Strat (MiM), Epi Les Paul Plus Top, 2004 Taylor 310ce, Washburn Rover
    Pedals/Gear: DVM's ZYS, Fulltone OCD, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q, Boss TU-2, Digitech JamMan, Presonus TubePre, Boss BR-600

Post Thanks / Like

For outright practicing I strongly suggest a looper. You'll get some kind of beats included, and if you don't use those then whatever you capture is going to stay consistent. Consistency and meter are what make the biggest difference when practicing. Without these skills it is hard to play with others.

I'm not sure how captured loops translate into the computer. I haven't tried that yet.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scorona
    Haven't heard that since high school... ;-)
    Sooo, do you want to beat me up now, or can we wait until after school?

Yes, but I'd rather spend less time sitting in front of a computer (since I do that for a living). I'm getting a little "old school" on this...I'd rather have something with real dials and switches, etc. I'll use the computer for transfer or final mixdown.
    Me too. I like the knobs n' dials.

I have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine, that I feed into my computer's sound card, but it would be nice to have a drum machine built into the recording device, like the Boss BR600.

How are the drum sounds in general? Do you get preset patterns to use or that you can load?
    That depends on the looper. The RC-2 has some OK beats, no ability to ad fills etc. I use them just to keep time. The Boss Rc-20XL apparently has a CD that you load in (ask Spud, he'll tell ya 'bout them). I'm surre that your SR-16 has got all the loopers "beat" in that department.

I would have to invest in some effects pedals to use in front of the looper, right? (i.e. I wouldn't be able to use the effects on my Vox amp).

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, with a looper you'll need to get all your dirt from pedals. Light modulation will be OK, but remember every effect gets applied to the drum sounds too.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the loop pedal idea also. computer for final transfer or whatever. I have the RC-2 also and am really enjoying it so far! Layering loops on the same phrase is soooo fun.

Post Thanks / Like

With a loop pedal, you could lay a good solid drum track down with your drum machine, layer clean guitar track(s) over it, make several loops of your favorite songs, played through one amph, and then use another amph to play lead along with it, if you want to use effects and not color the drums too much.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fender G-DEV vs. Modeling & Looper pedal combo

This is the setup I have be considering ...

Guitar
    |
    V
    Modeling multi-effects pedal (Pod XT Live, GT8, GNX3K, Tonelab, ect)
    |
    V
    Looper pedal (RC20XL, RC50, Jamman, etc)
    |
    V
    Keyboard amp (Roland, Yorkville)

Either that or I'll just buy a Fender GDEC.
    Last edited by NPauly; January 27th, 2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: tyops toyps typos
    My Gear ...
    Roland Micro Cube, Traynor YCV20WR
    Ovation Cedar Balladeer, "Super-cute" Fender Strat, Squier M-80

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    With a loop pedal, you could lay a good solid drum track down with your drum machine, layer clean guitar track(s) over it, make several loops of your favorite songs, played through one amph, and then use another amph to play lead along with it, if you want to use effects and not color the drums too much.
    Hey, I like that approach...plus it gives me an excuse to go score another amp. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    That depends on the looper. The RC-2 has some OK beats, no ability to ad fills etc. I use them just to keep time. The Boss Rc-20XL apparently has a CD that you load in (ask Spud, he'll tell ya 'bout them). I'm surre that your SR-16 has got all the loopers "beat" in that department.
    So, can you feed drum loops into the RC-2 via the 1/4" input?
    Does the RC-2 have the ability to slow down a track without changing pitch?

Can anyone chime in with any experience with the Boss BR-600?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

So, can you feed drum loops into the RC-2 via the 1/4" input?
    Does the RC-2 have the ability to slow down a track without changing pitch?

Can anyone chime in with any experience with the Boss BR-600?

Thanks.
    It has a 1/8" aux input on the back for CD input that you could use.