Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Headphones vs. Studio Monitors

Thread: Headphones vs. Studio Monitors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Headphones vs. Studio Monitors

I've been getting into recording a bit. I use an m-audio black box going USB into my Mac Mini with garageband. If I monitor through the computer speakers, there is just too much latency. The black box has a headphone jack as well as left & right outputs for monitors. It also has a mix knob that will allow me to vary the mix of the input signal and playback signal that will be directed to the monitors or headphones. My question is this: How is it playing with headphones on? I have a friend telling me that "you lose the feel," but being a beginner, I'm not sure I even have "the feel" yet in the first place. I can get headphones for less than monitors, but I'm not sure about wearing them. Opinions?
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

I would take a good pair of headphones over monitors any day!
    The built in core-audio drivers (usb audio) in mac os x delivers almost no latency (on my 2ghz imac at least). You can try to change your settings in the audio/midi app (found in applications/tools)
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jason... happy to see you around here... I am also pretty new to this stuff.. a little over a year... I really enjoy listening to the tracks and playing thru headphones... it adds alot.. unfortunatley.. I have also noticed when I record with headphones on... than listen to the finished tracks without them... well, it loses something... like I record lower with the headphones on so it eventually filters down lower in the end product.. but I have learned or learning to compensate for that...

I use a pair of Sony MDR-7506 ($99.00) headphones I have had for a few years now.. and I can wear them all day long.. comfy IMHO... for all type listening...

this has all been my personal opinion... take it with a grain of salt...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

The cord can be a pain sometimes, but that is the only issue I have found. Gotta be careful doing that head bobbing thing.
    Not sure what your friend means by losing the feel, but SS plays with feeling galore so that must not be it.
    I am just guessing here, but I bet your black box won't drive monitors anyway, only powered speakers. If so and you have a set of computer speakers, you could connect them to the box with a 1/8 adapter either to the R/L outs or even the headphone jack as another option. That's how the POD works anyway.
    Otherwise headphones sound great, cost way less than equivalent monitors and let me rock anytime without bothering others.
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of your input. Hog - by "monitors," I was referring to powered speakers. Some of them have multiple inputs and can mix the signals from both, so I could have both my computer and black box plugged into them at once. I think I am going to try on some headphones and see how that feels.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3