Thread: Having a hard time changing over to church music

Post Thanks / Like

Default Having a hard time changing over to church music

I've been a guitarist 47 years and I think I'm pretty good, been in lots of working bands and even toured. Played everything from Acid Rock and Country to Jazz and Blues to Surf Music. Now I find my self playing with these church musicians and they are all very good, they want me to play with them but I'm having a hard time adjusting to playing that kind of music and I feel kind of like the odd ball. I like these guys and sort of like what we play but my head just isn't into it. I can't deside if I should keep playing with them or not.

What would you do?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

If it was me and the material wasn't interesting enough, I'd give up on it pretty quick.

That's why I stopped going to the local jams. It ended up being all the same songs I've played a million times, and nobody could really take them up a notch, so it gets incredibly boring.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

No point forcing yourself to play something you don't enjoy. I've had the same problem and was honest about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    If it was me and the material wasn't interesting enough, I'd give up on it pretty quick.

That's why I stopped going to the local jams. It ended up being all the same songs I've played a million times, and nobody could really take them up a notch, so it gets incredibly boring.
    I almost went last night to the locak Blues Jam after church practice with one of the other musicans. The local jams here are everything you say, same old crap they've done the last 20 years and still they can't play it right, how hard is it to learn a few new songs? It's a good place to hang and meet other musicians or look for a band but I'm tired of that scene. Thats why I'm trying this church music gig.

I think it's mostly me. The guys are great and we play well together, it's just I have a hard time getting into the music.

I'll hang in there a few more weeks. Gotta, play this morning at 9:00.

Later.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same situation. I really liked the guys and the music, but it was classic rock rewritten with Christian lyrics and I really couldn't get into it. Hope it works out for you.
    Dave
    "You don't have to act your age to feel it."
    DaveO

Post Thanks / Like

Things went pretty good this morning, they always throw something new in the mix, we didn't do at practice, kind of hard to learn something in 5 minutes and play it well the first time as a group in front of 700 people, the wife said it sounded good, so I think it went over well. Then they fed us at a big chili feed, for me that was the best part of the church service today. I'll try it next week and see if things get more interesting.