Thread: The radio come through my practice amp

Post Thanks / Like

Default The radio come through my practice amp

The radio come through my practice amp, the problem only happened after I blew the amp playign a old, electric guitar my grandpa gave me from the late 40's. I replaced the fuse, not exactly sure its the right kind of fuse just stuck on in there that fit. but its really anoying yet funny any one know a quike fix becuase if im going to have to put money on it il keep it like that.
    Random Gear
    Ibanez S470(sold)
    Fender Strat MIM (sold)
    Ibanez Iceman ic300(sadly sold)
    Ibanez Iceman X
    Squier afinity strat
    Fender 12 String Acoustic
    Conn 12 String Acoustic
    Old 70's Tiesco Electric
    Old Silvertone steel Guitar (50's)
    Samick Bass stingray copy
    Fender bassman (73)
    Peavey Bandit 112 (sold)
    Jordan entertainer 110 (72)
    Fender usa strat (stolen)

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme (Qotsa)

Post Thanks / Like

Ice, better check the current rating on the old fuse and match the new one else potentially your problems are going to be alot worse than an NFG amp. Sorry can't help with the real problem. Granpa's guitar sounds cool, tell us more about that.

Post Thanks / Like

If you value that amp, don't power it up until you replace the fuse with one of the currect rating. Fuses are there to protect the circuitry, and installing the wrong fuse (particularly with a higher rating) can do evil things to your amp. Amps don't smell good when they cook.

For your radio problem - have you tried swapping cords and power outlets?
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Ferrite Choke

You could also try installing a ferrite choke on your amp's power cable. The radio noise is sometimes caused by RF interference picked-up by the amp's power cable. The ferrite choke works as a filter for this RF interference so that it never reaches the inside of your amp.

-- Radio Shack: Ferrite Choke
    http://www.radioshack.com/sm-snap-to...i-2103222.html

Just snap the choke around the cable just before the the plug that goes into the back of the amp.

I have also heard of people recommending that you also put a choke on your guitar cable, but I'm not sure this won't have an effect on tone, so I haven't ever tried it.

It can also help lessen and sometimes even eliminate hum in tube amps with a reverb circuit if you place one on the cable that plugs into the reverb tank.

And just to help stress the point -- you must use the correct fuse or risk frying you amp.

Hope this helps ...
    Last edited by NPauly; February 10th, 2007 at 01:29 AM. Reason: tyops toyps tyosp
    My Gear ...
    Roland Micro Cube, Traynor YCV20WR
    Ovation Cedar Balladeer, "Super-cute" Fender Strat, Squier M-80