Thread: Thoughts on the licensing and distribution of music as posed by Steve Jobs

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Thoughts on the licensing and distribution of music as posed by Steve Jobs

Happy Friday! Steve Jobs, of Apple, owner/operator of iTunes, submitted a discussion at the link below regarding sales/distribution of music, and protection of that music by the Digital Rights Management system (DRM). Mr. Jobs just about calls on what he calls the "big four" music companies to join in abolishing DRMs in favor of distributing music in completely open licensable formats. He says Apple would do it, and ponders the alternatives, pluses and minuses. Kind of interesting.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/

Anyone care to discuss?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I saw on Slashdot that EMI is considering doing this very thing. It sounds like the main reason they are considering it is to cut Apple out of the deal altogether. Either way, the sooner DRM dies, the better.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'll have to search for that and check it out tonight. Jobs said Apple would gladly sell DRMless music if allowed by the agreements with the recording industry. Sounds interesting.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Myles Guest

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I saw on Slashdot that EMI is considering doing this very thing. It sounds like the main reason they are considering it is to cut Apple out of the deal altogether. Either way, the sooner DRM dies, the better.
    Sounds like they are getting greedy. Although I agree getting rid of DRM would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Slahdot!! Cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I saw on Slashdot ...
    I have been an avid reader of Slashdot.org since it first appeared, it's nice to see that I'm not the only TheFret.net geek. Slashdot.org, really is news for nerds, aka, the stuff that matters ...

Quote Originally Posted by vitalmyles
    Sounds like they are getting greedy.
    Sounds like? More like have always been and that's why were currently in this DRM mess ...

Down with DRM! Up with open licenses!!
    Last edited by NPauly; February 10th, 2007 at 01:10 AM. Reason: tyops toyps tyosp
    My Gear ...
    Roland Micro Cube, Traynor YCV20WR
    Ovation Cedar Balladeer, "Super-cute" Fender Strat, Squier M-80

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default apple to sell DRMless music!

http://www.thenewstribune.com/24hour...12854415c.html

Follow up to the above, EMI and Apple are apparently moving forward.

EDIT: more details here:
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/02itunes.html
    Regular songs with encryption at the same .99, and higher audio quality DRM less songs for an extra .30.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson