Thread: Booster or Volume Pedal?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Booster or Volume Pedal?

When I play live with my band I use many stomp boxes.

The problem is that in some songs I feel the need of boosting the volume of my signal in order to play a solo (either with an overdriven sound or clean...)

If I set the amp volume at a standard level that is loud enough for soloing, then I have problem when playing rhythm because my signal is too loud and vice versa...

What do you think as the best solution for that:
    1) a booster pedal ?
    2) a volume pedal ?
    MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Amps: Fender Deluxe Reverb II, Tech21 TM30
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:
    http://www.blackframe.gr

Personal Myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/eliasavdikos

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest booster pedal due to the fact that the volume pedal is hard to get to the same setting by feel after the period of increased volume is completed... check this out:

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-32.php
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, a volume pedal is more for making volume swells or turning the volume down a bit. For a volume boost, get a boost pedal like what I have. For leads, it might also work with an OD/Distortion pedal with the volume knob maxed and gain turned down a bit. It will color your tone though.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like clean (not overdriven boost)...
    MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:

Personal Myspace:

Post Thanks / Like

Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Big K

I think that maybe a booster is the best solution for my case...

Does anyone has any schematic of a clean booster pedal in order to build it by myself?
    Last edited by elavd; February 12th, 2007 at 02:24 AM.
    MY GEAR:
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:

Personal Myspace:

Post Thanks / Like

Another option for a clean boost.

I have the Behringer Boost/Preamp pedal. I've had it for several months and haven't hooked it up. I was thinking that I would not open it and just sell it as new. I've been pretty happy with my guitar sounds...until now. Robert, you have me very curious now.

I got mine for $20 new from Music 123.

Report to follow...

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Another option for a clean boost.

I have the Behringer Boost/Preamp pedal. I've had it for several months and haven't hooked it up. I was thinking that I would not open it and just sell it as new. I've been pretty happy with my guitar sounds...until now. Robert, you have me very curious now.

I got mine for $20 new from Music 123.

Report to follow...
    Spud, thanks to your help, I ended up with the same pedal. Like you have said, it is a nice, versatile addition to the chain, and a great deal. But, what do you say?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Is there some sort of device that can monitor your volume and maintain the same volume between distortion and clean sounds?

I seem to have issues with this at least once or twice a gig. I'm sure switching guitars that have different pickups in them doesn't help but there's got to be an easier way than having 2 identical guitars.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Trem
    There are so many options for what you are after that it's almost hard to even start a description for any of them. Because the nature of a distorted amp is so different than a clean amp the best that you can do is to just turn your dirty channel up louder than you think it should be as compared to the clean channel

The clean is always going to shine through because it's got headroom and definition. You can't get that from a full on distortion. You'll get compression, harmonics, and smoothness which is all good. It's the 'perception' of loudness on a distortion that fools us into thinking that it's louder than it really is.

In this case your best friend is your guitar's volume knob...or just don't be so anal.

Sunny boy
    I love having a clean boost now. Many thanks to Robert for his post. It can be used in a few different ways, maybe even a benefit to what Trem is looking to solve. However, I just leave mine on, set flat tone wise (unless I need a change), and have just a bit of boost so that my guitar sounds fuller and more alive all the time. I put mine late in the chain to make up for signal loss.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.