Thread: Etta James

Post Thanks / Like

Default Etta James

This isnt much of a guitar jammin tune, but it is blues...share it with your ol lady tommarrow, youll thank me for it!

I heard this tune the other day on Sirius Blues and I just had to hunt it down...
    Etta James-Id Rather Go Blind thats a live version(with Dr John), I found more but unfortunately not a studio version.

Heres a video of a chic painting to the same song, different live version(that sounds real clean)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppqhJYLXEY

Then heres a version of Faces doing it, kinda cool in a 1970s rock n roll kinda way(with Rod Stewart)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNxLf5tPx8U

And heres one more(cover of the same song) with a nice Tele solo at about 1:45 Dana Fuchs Band - I'd Rather Go Blind (Etta James Cover)
    Last edited by ShortBuSX; February 13th, 2007 at 04:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

etta is great...i caught her live at carnegie hall last year during the jvc jazz festival in nyc. susan tedeschi was on the bill too and she was awesome as usual!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Etta is one of my favorite blues artists! I have one of her early live albums kicking around here somewhere - it SMOKES! She sings with so much raw power and emotion! I also have a greatest hits album, and some tracks on various Chess compilations.

Other than SRV, who led me to the blues, I really dig the Chess recordings and the artists on that label. I was born about 10 years too late me thinks

Trev

The live album is "Etta James Rocks the House", her only live recording with Chess (1964).
    Last edited by t_ross33; February 13th, 2007 at 06:39 PM.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    I really dig the Chess recordings and the artists on that label. I was born about 10 years too late me thinks
    Do you have Sirius satelight radio? If not GET IT! Sirius Blues has a show with Robert(?) Chess, son of the founder of Chess records...its about his recollection of growing up in the Chess studios and all of the artists that were like family to him...and he plays some SMOKIN tracks!!! A definate must check!

Post Thanks / Like

here is a partial recording of etta when i saw her at carnegie. you weren't allowed to bring in cameras or video but i did

it was recorded with my point and shoot canon camera on movie mode....i had to cup the back of it to try and keep the screen from showing up while i was recording it! Pretty crappy recording....

http://warrenworld.com/fret/etta.MP4

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

You are soooo Smokin cool Warren
    Thanks! I liked that.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man, that was too cool ww! The lady's still got it!

I will definately have to check out Sirius, SBX. Thanks for the tip.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah!!!! thumbs up on the Chess blues hour.

I also like Shameka Copelands show on Sirius
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Rob
    I also like Shameka Copelands show on Sirius
    I really just dont "feel" her music though...and they play the hell out of it. BUT she does have a really smooth voice for a radio blues show, she plays some good stuff and her stories are good...but her music?

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    I will definately have to check out Sirius, SBX. Thanks for the tip.
    With your account you are also able to listen online...which is really nice.