Thread: Your unrealized tasks...open matters

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your unrealized tasks...open matters

Hey friends,

Today I bought a brand new notepad. I imagined if I would just write down all the guitar excercises, lessons, tablature books and so on that I have started working with and did not finish them they would not fit in the big notepad.

What are your unrealized guitar tasks? I bet you also started like working on arpeggios or putting more Jazz into your playing and in the back of your mind you were like "this time I am going to sit down work it out properly" and half the way you just forget about it...and some time later you may start again with the same result.

For me there is one thing and I swear that this time I am going to finish it.
    I always wanted to learn and play "Eugene's trickbag" from the Crossroads movie - it's the final solo...I have started 13 years ago stopped started and stopped, but this time there is no escape!

....I have to climb that mountain
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Unrealized guitar tasks?

lol, thats too large a list to even start to think about.
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    I always wanted to learn and play "Eugene's trickbag" from the Crossroads movie - it's the final solo...
    i watched that movie again yesterday....i still like it alot!

as far as unrealized guitar tasks...that books to big to get started on here!! but music theory and fretboard knowledge is high up on the list...

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I understand, but think of the one thing that comes back over and over again....
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

music theory and fretboard knowledge....

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Rob
    Unrealized guitar tasks?

lol, thats too large a list to even start to think about.
    I put mine in MP3 form. Makes it a lot smaller so I don't get so uptight about being a slacker.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    i watched that movie again yesterday....i still like it alot!

as far as unrealized guitar tasks...that books to big to get started on here!! but music theory and fretboard knowledge is high up on the list...

ww
    Now that I know some chords and can play a pentatonic and blues scale on a couple places on the neck, I would agree with the above, with an eye/ear toward learning how to use those scales and chords to improv some music, and play stuff I hear by just figuring it out.

The learning what to do with some scales and fretboard knowledge are what come up over and over again now.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I put mine in MP3 form. Makes it a lot smaller so I don't get so uptight about being a slacker.
    now that's funny....i don't care who you are!!

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Good lord, you could play guitar for several lifetimes and still have unrealized tasks. The further you climb, the more you can see how far you have to go. When you get to the top of the mountain, you can see the whole mountain range there ahead of you.

Some things I'd like to work on are:
    • Building accuracy at higher speeds. I'm playing a lot of scales with my metronome these days.
    • Expanding my "toolbox" of motivic ideas by transcribing solos, listening deeply to lots of music, studying lots of different kinds of players, etc.
    • Increasing my instinctive knowledge of harmony, chord substitutions, etc. I think this is a strength of mine, but there's always more to know.
    • Playing really really well.
    • Not sucking.

Post Thanks / Like

My big one right now is building up speed with sweep picking. There's a fine line between "almost fast" and "crash and burn."

My main goal is to find the "suck" switch and turn it off.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn