Thread: SX STL50 vs Squire '51

Post Thanks / Like

Default SX STL50 vs Squire '51

G.A.S. has me looking for yet another outstanding value super playable piece... pretty impressed with my SST57 stop tail for the money, haven't changed pickups, pots, tuners, anything (yet) I was set on a '51 before the SX arrived, now I'm not sure.. anyone have both that can comment on fit & finish, playability, etc.... comment appreciated....thanks
    Last edited by Big K; February 16th, 2007 at 08:20 PM.
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a SST62 and a '51. My '51 wins, mostly because of the neck and pickups.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I only have a '51, which I like a lot. If you are going to get one, you had best do it quickly. There aren't many of them left.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I have a SST62 and a '51. My '51 wins, mostly because of the neck and pickups.
    your pickup demo got me gassin for a '51 in the first place....

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I only have a '51, which I like a lot. If you are going to get one, you had best do it quickly. There aren't many of them left.
    sweet, going to GC tomorrow (think I'll wait until Monday to see what goes on sale for amps) to check one out...
    Last edited by Big K; February 17th, 2007 at 08:29 AM.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

So what happened - no '51 for you, Big K?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

to slow, missed out on a new one... may still try and pick up one used if the opportunity presents itself... I've been in a pickup changing mode and am having fun with the new sounds of the Fat Fully & SST57...

Post Thanks / Like

STL-50 in Candy Apple Red is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.... couldn't resist when I saw the red...

Post Thanks / Like

The red looks nice. Please be sure to post your impressions once you've had some time to play it.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

looks like I received a good one, nice figure in the maple, nice flake paint, straight neck with no sprout, plays very nice... quality equal or better than a MIM in my humble opinion..

"couple of poor photo's posted in the Fender Tele sub forum"
    Last edited by Big K; May 28th, 2007 at 09:59 PM. Reason: upon further review

Post Thanks / Like

Just received an SX STL50 from the big brown truck today. Quite impressive guitar for $109, I'd have no problem recommending it to anyone.

Only one thing is a little out of whack, I can't get the correct intonation on a couple of the strings, but it's close enough for guvmint work!

Alex
    '71 Martin D-18
    Agile AL-2000
    Epi Elitist LP "Tak"
    Epi Sheraton 2
    Fender Standard Strat (MIM)
    G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy
    Schecter C-1+
    SX STL50 (Tele clone)
    Washburn WI66PRO

Post Thanks / Like

good luck with it, I'm still dang pleased with mine... am going to replace the neck pickup and change to a White Mother of Pearl Pickguard....