Thread: Would you want to be 100% Immortal?

Myles Guest

Default Would you want to be 100% Immortal?

This question hit me with our recent surge of superhero discussion.

Would you want to be 100% Immortal?

You can't end your own life, ever and no one else can either and the rest of the world is going to keep on working the same way as it always has. (so you aren't allowed to bring your wife along for an eternity of torture ) In other words, no matter what you aren't going to die and everyone you love will. Could you handle this? Would it be worth it?

Post Thanks / Like

What if some bad dude lopps your noggin off with a big a$$ sword ?
    I don't know if I could handle an eternity of working for a living though.. maybe immortality plus a superhero power, like the ability to produce money at the snap of the fingers. Yah, that's it, Super Immortal Moneybags !

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, can't see the point.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Myles Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Nope, can't see the point.
    It isn't even a little enticing to be able to learn basically everything? To see the very shaping of the world and the human race? To be able to see the end of all things? (if such a thing can happen)

I'll admit I'm with you oldguy, living forever seems almost like a curse, but there is so much more one could discover given a 100 life times instead of just 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vitalmyles
    I'll admit I'm with you oldguy, living forever seems almost like a curse, but there is so much more one could discover given a 100 life times instead of just 1.
    Well, the problem is that an eternity wont stop at a 100 life times.. just imagine when you are standing before the altar getting ready to get married for the 1000th time! And you promised yourself 999 times before never to do it again! doh.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Nah...

My grandmother is 90. She has had 4 of her 6 children go before her and she is one of the saddest people on earth. She is always depressed just thinking about it. She wishes for the end to come. I try to cheer her up when I can, but it only lasts for a short time.

I'll live on through the youth I helped influence. Hopefully, they will bring a little of me with them in their lives and hand down some part of that to the next generations.

I'll just try to live this one to the fullest and then move on to whatever is next.

What kind of strings should I buy for my precision. Lookin for a versitile sound. My current set (if memory serves me) are Rotosound from about 1990!

Sculpin

Post Thanks / Like

The movie series Highlander deals with this... and Although we all would love to live forever... I don't want to be around for any deaths... so no.. would not want to be immortal unless allmy loved ones shared it with me.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Myles Guest

One of the most common changes with a being that lives forever and can't be destroyed is that they don't value life the same way you and I would. Things like Death and Lost Love you would become numb to eventually.

I guess perhaps the question is almost asking, would you like to be something other than human?

Post Thanks / Like

Not me, wouldn't be able to play Gitarz then. What has more fun than people ?

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about this a long time ago and I still have the same answer...no.
    It comforts me to know that I'll get to check out at some point and slip into the big sleep. I'm hoping for the best rest I've ever had. I have no desire to live forever. I think it would cheapen my life to know I couldn't die and I would become numb and emotionless as the centuries rolled on. I'd become so bored. Sure, new things would always pop up every 30-40 years but think about how you get a new gadget and them how quickly that gadget gets replaced by another and is left to gather dust in a closet. That's how everyone and everything would be viewed as.

Enjoy the ride, gents. In the grand scheme of things it's a pretty short one.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

If I could make the world a harmonious and better place I'd do it. Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

To live forever? Never! I do not want to bury my kids and my love ones, the thought alone makes me feel sick.

Sometimes I wish that life passes a little slower. My theorie is the older you become the faster the days and months seem to fly by.
    Last edited by Jimi75; February 21st, 2007 at 04:08 AM.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

The Buddhists say that you are reborn forever until you achieve total enlightenment and enter Nirvana. Maybe that's why I feel so old sometimes.
    Dave
    "You don't have to act your age to feel it."
    DaveO

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Immortality in this world without my loved ones is not appealing to me. I have thought about that issue since I was a kid, especially with my early reading, and especially the Lord of the Rings and Narnia series. The Narnia series touches on the subject with the White Witch experiencing total beauty, power and immortality but being miserable and lonely. The main characters pass on to a different realm with their loved ones and experience gorwing and expanding love and joy. I have faith that it is like that. Kind of personal to say out loud on the fret, but there it is. :-)

I agree with Jimi75 that time in this mortal world seems to speed up, at least at this point in life. John Mayer wrote about this on the "Stop this Train" track. It is a daily exercise for me to get out of my head when I come home and join the world of my kids and family so I can enjoy all I can with them. Ok, I sound really trite and sappy, but I guess I just am!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

With these genie in a bottle wishes one has to be veeRRRRrrrryyy careful. You *know* that the fine print will get you & you will suffer for eternity.

Loved ones would truly only be the issue the first 100-200 years. I would imagine that things would get quite complex & then very jaded & blase.

After that..who knows. maybe you'd watch a sequia grow for 550 years & before deciding what to do for the next 3000 milllion millenia.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like a slightly different deal: I can only die if I kill myself. I'd enjoy living a really really really long time. Long enough to gain a lose a few fortunes, have every career I ever wanted to have, rack up advanced degrees in every discipline I can think of, start a revolution or two, spend a couple of lifetimes in a monastary, and sure, watch a few sequoias grow. But flat-out immortality without an opt-out feature, no way. Even if I didn't decide to pull the plug before, I wouldn't want to outlive the end of the world, or of the universe.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like it, and then I would become the Chronicler of the World, like Astinus in Dragonlance.

Play your guitar daily!