Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Evolution of your musical taste
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evolution of your musical taste

Post Thanks / Like

Default Evolution of your musical taste

Hey fellow fretters,

How did your musical taste develop?

I have an older brother and the whole day Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix and Deep purple records were played in our house. When he wasn't at home, my mom listened to classic music and some Elvis stuff besides all the Italian music my father listened to

This guitar oriented sound influenced me, but before I bought my first record I was more the radio and pop chart guy (08-12years).

Then with 12 I received a copy of Metallica's "Master Of Puppets" and I was totally into Metal, Metallica, Malmsteen, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer and so on.

With 15 I turned into alternative stuff like Pearl Jam which I really love. Through Pearl Jam I learned about classics like Neil young, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty and so I found out that beside solos there is something called "the song" and song structure.Almost at the same time I listened to quite a lot of Satriani and Vai and I was dreaming of goign to Berkeley college or the G.I.T. to study music. I was a hybrid between songwriter and shredder.

During that time I played the guitar intesively and my musical taste was a melting pot. I was more and more impressed by Jimi Hendrix and at one point with 17 I listened to Hendrix, Eric Gales and SRV only...from there on I discovered the blues (I guess all this started after seeing the Crossroad movie) in all its different forms, from Robert Johnson to BB King.
    With the blues came some Jazz and I later focused on blues rock oriented music until today. I think that is what I like most because it gives me the most besides soundtrack music for which I discovered my passion some years ago - it was so relaxing to listen to music where no guitar is played.

I have never denied any type of music I once listened to, still love to blast some Metal when driving my car on the Autobahn....and still go to Metallica concerts. Old love never rusts

I think I kind of missed the classic rock phase with Led Zeppelin and so on, although my bro' played all those records at home, but WHO care?
    Last edited by Jimi75; February 21st, 2007 at 08:18 AM.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

When I was 13 I picked up playing the guitar. Back then I was in Junior High (not Middle School) and bands like AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent etc. were extremely popular. AC/DC was easy to play so I learned all my chords and timing from them. During high school I played trumpet and guitar in Jazz band so I picked up an appreciation for that type of music as well as progressive rock/jazz fusion. In college I majored in Fine Arts so I got heavily into classical music and especially loved music from the Baroque era. All my earlier influences never left me though. I guess I learned to appreciate many forms of music as long as it rocked or was melodic or had a catchy riff or phrase....or funny. Some college guys got me into Frank Zappa, The Talking Heads, King Crimson.... Blues has always been #1 in my heart though. It brings me home!

And I've always loved Rush yeahhhh!!!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh yes. Back when I was growing up my Mom listened to a lot of well, crap, not to put too fine a point on it. A lot of Anne Murray, the Lettermen, and Barry Manilow. Occasionally, she's put on some 50s stuff. My Dad was into Big Band stuff. There was also Lutheran church music which got me interested particularly in Baroque-era music. I didn't have my own radio or cassette player until the end of my grade school years.

Then I became interested (through my uncle) in Queen. Influenced by my uncle's acoustic playing of 60s/70s stuff, I attempted to learn to play acoustic. I had a terrible one that made playing a nightmare. Plus my instructor wanted me to play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" (and no, not the SRV version) and stuff like that that sucked what little fun I was having right out of it.

When I was a freshman in high school, a classmate of mine with a sweet stereo played Dokken's "Tooth and Nail" and Metallica's "Ride the Lightning" for me. It was one of those epiphanies. From that point on I became a full-blown metalhead, much to the chagrin of some of my friends. To the chagrin of my metalhead friends, I also liked The Police and 80s New Wave stuff. My senior year I discovered the bass and taught myself to play. About that time I also discovered Yngwie whose fusion of Baroque and metal was right up my street.

When I got to college, I first heard about Stevie Ray Vaughan. That was my first foray into the blues. While in college I tried to get a metal band together. Failing that, I played bass in a bluegrass band (of all things) for a couple of years. After the Sem, I sold my bass--a move I've regretted ever since. About eight years ago, I got into electric guitar. I remembered a friend of mine in college becoming a pretty good guitarist from the Metal Method course. I picked it up and have been teaching myself ever since. The first full song I taught myself was Monty Python's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life." The first "real" songs I taught myself were "Walk, Don't Run" by the Ventures and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" by Van Halen.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I was a couple of weeks shy of 13 years old when the Beatles made their US debut on the Ed Sullivan Show in Feb. '64. They were my (and the rest of America's) favorite rock act for a couple of years, until I first heard Fresh Cream and the guitar wizardry of Eric Clapton. "Wow, what the heck is that?", I remember thinking. I'd never heard the guitar played like that before! I also acquired the Bluesbreakers Beano album to hear more of EC, and that was my first real exposure to blues. Shortly after, I picked up a guitar for the first time. I quickly developed an interest in the work of the other "guitar gods" of the late 60's, notably Hendrix, Jeff Beck (Truth) and Jimmy Page, with the first LZ album, all of whom had heavy blues influences. The Stones, Santana and the Who were also favorites, and the first Allman Bros. album made a huge impression on me. I really liked the early Marshall Tucker stuff, too; Toy Caldwell was a very gifted and original sounding guitarist. And I've been a big Springsteen fan since hearing The Wild, the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle in fall of '73. The Eagles and Steely Dan were mid-70's favorites.

Late in the 70's and into the early 80's, I was heavily into Mark Knofpler/Dire Straits, Steve Morse/Dixie Dregs, and (of course!!) SRV when he broke big in '83. As you can see, I'm definitely a classic rock/blues type of guy. Which is probably why I liked the Black Crowes so much when they hit the scene in the early 90's. Lately, I've developed an interest in vintage Van Halen, which I had pretty much ignored the first time around. I listen to a pretty wide variety of stuff these days, both old and newer, but still concentrated in those genres.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I almost forgot to add that when I was a bass player I also became interested in funk. FWIW, this is my favorite funk song, although it is really a funk/disco hybrid as so many songs of that era were. Get down wich yo' bad self!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in a household filled with music. Country music. Lots and lots of country music. My Dad was a musician and played in bands from the time he was a teenager, so there was always jammin' at the Ross house.

Lots of folks in our community played an instrument of some sort, so any social gathering was always good for a jam. Lots of old-timey country, a little rock and roll (in the classic sense of the term), and dance band type music around.

Picked up bass and a little acoustic guitar around 11 yrs old and played with my Dad and other local bands throughout my teen years - mostly country stuff.

Favorites to this day include Johnny Cash, Waylon, Willie, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens...

I had some older cousins who were very much into classic rock. I got Ace Frehley's solo album, and Supertramp's Breakfast in America for my 10th birthday - my first rock albums!

Along the way, I picked up on southern rock, more classic rock, punk, new-wave, metal and, of all things, zydego.

SRV introduced me to the blues - which I love to this day.

And then there was RUSH! Rush was (is) my all time favorite! A guitar playing buddy tweaked me on to them when I was about 14 and I couldn't get enough. New album coming out this year!! Can't wait!!

I'm a music sponge. I soak it all up.

That's my story.

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I listened to a lot of Iron Maiden, Dio, Uriah Heep stuff when I was about 10 (1994). That's all I had at home (my grandma's actually, where I would stay for the afternoon till mom or dad came back from work).. It was the kind of stuff my uncle used to hear (I remember being 3 or 4 and seeing him lock himself in his room and turn the music really loud heheh) and all that was available at the time. At my house my dad had brazilian popular music albums and bossa nova.. but that never called me attention back then.

beetween that I would listen to pop-ish like Aerosmith, Tears For Fears some really mixed stuff.. you can even throw The Pet Shop Boys in the soup!

Then Kurt Cobain from Nirvana died.. and there was all that repercussion.. So I listened to a lot of Nirvana.. almost everyday for a whole year.. (I didn't had a guitar by this time, lets say.. 95-1996).

Nirvana made me turn to noisy-punkish-indie music.. so in those years my favorite bands became The Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, Pavement, Placebo, Superchunk among others.. I would listen to a couple songs by Led Zeppelin, Hendrix and Clapton too at that time.

Then I started playing guitar (feb. 2001) and for 1 more year that was all I listened to.. when I started researching about my favorite bands influences. Billy Corgan would say that Black Sabbath's Master of Reality changed his life, somebody else would talk about Hendrix and Clapton.. thats when I started looking for the older stuff and really digging it. Black Sabbath was the first 70's rock band that I can say I really dug.. Hendrix was just too progressive for me at the time, Zeppelin almost the same. Sabbath's first album made me comprehend what was the "bluesier" kind of rock soloing. From there I could understand the more "complicated" (to me) stuff and I started to look for "guitar heroes" albums, getting crazy about guitar tones and discovered the beauty of the old blues.

And the story keeps going
    Last edited by Iago; March 3rd, 2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: corrected sabbath's album name! ehhehe

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Earliest memories: (the next three periods cover the later 60s through early to mid 70s)

Lawrence Welk
    Ray Conniff Singers
    Andy Williams
    Herp Albert and the tijuana brass
    The Carpenters
    Glenn Campbell show
    EDIT: Kid's versions of Puff the Magic Dragaon, Tie me Kangaroo down and the like.
    EDIT: The Catholic Nuns at my grade school leading us in "Blowing in the Wind".
    Bing Crosby
    Burt Bacharach
    (some of the artists were my parents 8 track music, the rest radio and tv)

First things I liked independent of my parents:
    Jackson 5
    Yellow Submarine era Beatles
    Schoolhouse Rock
    Monkees
    John Denver

Then I listened to radio in the car my folks were driving, as we travelled to go skiing, mostly AM. Cat in the Cradle (can't remember artist), Moody Blues, Jim Croce, Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, Raindrops (can't remember artist), Steppenwolf, America, Eagles, James Taylor, 10CC I am sure there are more. Also liked Beach Boys

First stuff I owned (mid 70s):

Bachman Turner Overdrive, Not Fragile
    Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and Greatest Hits
    Chicago, a whole bunch. 25 or 6 to 4 was my football warm up song (I liked the earlier stuff's piano and brass, remember, I was taking piano at the time, Especially loved syncopated piano and anything honkey tonkish), Kiss
    Frampton Comes Alive
    Also, began to hear things like:
    Steve Miller, Fly like an Eagle
    Deep Purple

Then (1976 or so through 1979) a big shift into:
    VanHalen, first album
    Boston, First album
    Kansas
    Zeppelin
    EDIT: forgot to mention Pink Floyd, a big influence at the time.
    Lynyrd Skynrd
    Foghat
    Fleetwood Mac
    Foreigner
    Queen
    Yes
    I'll admit to some Styx and such too.

Then (1980-81) changed again and focused on:
    Early Beatles (primarily red album, some blue album)
    Early Stones (Hotrocks)
    Jazz, primarily fusion, such as Jeff Lorber Fusion. John Klemmer, Spyro Gyra, Silk (a fusion of some fusion artists)
    George Benson
    Earth Wind and Fire, a whole lot.

College, at University of Washington in Seattle 1981-1985, got there and listened mostly to:

Elvis Costello
    Clash
    U2
    Kingbees (rockabilly before Stray Cats)
    Stray Cats
    EDIT: FORGOT TO MENTION THE ROMANTICS, I really liked them!
    Head East
    Springsteen (before Born in the USA, emphasize The River, and Born to Run)
    AC/DC
    Def Leppard
    B52s
    EDIT: HOW COULD I FORGET DEVO AND JOE JACKSON!
    EDIT: UB40 and similar reggae, Jimmy Cliff, and Peter Tosh
    Specials
    English Beat, the Beat
    Police
    The Pretenders
    Some Jimmy Buffet
    Violent Femmes, (a lot!)
    Talking Heads
    Much, but not all of what was on the first 2-3 years of MTV, kind of got away from Van Halen, etc. and any concert/arena oriented rock
    Emphasis on uptempo, 4/4 time songs that are over in about 2 minutes. Very few guitar solo songs.
    Still, the Beatles and Stones, fusion jazz and EWF and Benson
    Classical, and other instrumental (George Winston for example) for study tunes.
    I am sure there is more.

Law School (Salem, OR, near Portland), add to college list:
    SRV
    REM
    the Untouchables
    The Replacements
    Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper
    Crazy 8s (ska based Portland, OR band)
    More Reggae, Bob Marley, Wailers, others.
    Warren Zevon
    I think I bought Bon Jovi's Slippery when Wet too.

Post school, adult life, add to the above:

Most of the 90s were Grunge (Nirvana, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, etc., some Pearl Jam, like Crazy Mary) and neo punk (Greenday, Offspring) oriented, living at the time in Tacoma, near Seattle. Also, add in things like Blues Traveler, Paul Westerberg, EDIT: NEIL YOUNG, starting with Harvest Moon and Unplugged, Tom Petty, post Clash projects.
    Essentially two playlists (I have both on my iPod), adult contemp. and alternative (like Cowboy Junkies, Lyle Lovett, Bonnie Raitt, REM and post REM, Michelle Shocked, etc.) and end of the dial "harder" alternative playlists (like Seattle's 107.7 the End), including all the punky stuff above, the grunge stuff, and things like Sublime, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Jane's Addiction, etc.

Since then, continue to add artists to the above two type of playlists. Got a little stagnant out here in Idaho, and after having kids. Returned to classic rock and started learning more about earlier stuff I had heard but not really listened to, like earlier Neil Young, Hendrix, influences of SRV, people influenced by SRV, I added a lot to my blues and jazz playlists, going back in time. (Albert King, Coltrane, etc.)
    Spud and others here have turned me onto a whole bunch of new stuff, and my taking up guitar has renewed my interest in guitar oriented music in general. More blues, more jazz, more classic rock. And the list continues!

EDIT: Sorry for being so long winded. It was a fun exercise to try to remember back and track forward for myself!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

My earliest memory.. I was maybe 5 or 6 when I got my first record player for Christmas, one of those Mickey Face and arm things, listened to those Disney records. Early one Sat. morning I found my parents old 45's. I can remember playing The Beatles Revolution over and over. There was some Animals and Canned Heat in there as well. I draw a blank after that until the mid late 70's, Styx, Aerosmith etc. I guess the 80's were VanHalen, Rush, Tom Petty, The Cult, Neil Young, Pink Floyd and some metal. I guess it wasn't until the late 80's I discovered SRV and Robert Cray. All those flavours pretty much stick with me today with a new found appreciation for some old Bluesmen like BB King, Buddy Guy, Muddy and the like.

What a great topic ! Thanks Jimi !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Earliest memories: (the next three periods cover the later 60s through early to mid 70s)

EDIT: Sorry for being so long winded. It was a fun exercise to try to remember back and track forward for myself!
    As long as you don't charge us by the word it's OK.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

1964 I was living in Germany and for my fourth birthday I got a portable record player and 3 45's. One was the Statler Brothers - Counting Flowers On The Wall, another was Roger Miller - Dang Me/Trailers For Sale Or Rent and the third was the Beatles - I Wanna Hold Your Hand. I was hooked totally by the Beatles.

From then on I turned to radio for my salvation until 1970. At that point I moved to Montana and radio was a moot point. Luckily a couple of years later my brother came back from the military in Germany and brought his album collection. He made 8 track tapes of Yes, Doobie Bros., Tower Of Power, Fleetwood Mac. Yes held the power over me at that point and I also started buying my own music. The Beatles, Mahogany Rush, Ten Years After, Jimi Hendrix, Nektar, Foghat, Return To Forever.

In Jr. High I spent the night at a friends house and they played something that totally blew me away Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are. Now I felt like I had been whisked away to another planet. Robbin Trower followed shortly after.

Then I started playing in bands. We covered Fleetwood Mac, Frampton, Aerosmith, Styx, Eagles. In high school it became Zep, Budgie, Reggie Knighton, Original music, Thin Lizzy, Boston, Queen, Rainbow, Deep Purple.

Out on the road after high school it became Y&T, Sprigsteen, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Whitesnake and whatever top 40 crap it took to keep eating.

The early 1990's became the blues awareness phase. Luther Allison, Stevie Vaughn, Buddy Guy, Freddie King, Albert Collins, Lonnie Mack.

After all that I've come back to the music that I found the most soul stirring for me, progressive. The Flower Kings, Karmakanic, The Tangent, Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, Marillion or anyone else who falls under that banner.

Throughout all these phases I listened to almost everybody you could think of and played a wide variety of their music. You name it, Jazz, Swing, Ska, Reggae, Pop, Metal, Rock, Funk. I just love music!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Lawrence Welk
    Ray Conniff Singers
    Andy Williams
    Herp Albert and the tijuana brass
    The Carpenters
    Glenn Campbell show
    EDIT: Kid's versions of Puff the Magic Dragaon, Tie me Kangaroo down and the like.
    EDIT: The Catholic Nuns at my grade school leading us in "Blowing in the Wind".
    Bing Crosby
    Burt Bacharach
    (some of the artists were my parents 8 track music, the rest radio and tv)

First things I liked independent of my parents:
    Jackson 5
    Yellow Submarine era Beatles
    Schoolhouse Rock
    Monkees
    John Denver

Then I listened to radio in the car my folks were driving, as we travelled to go skiing, mostly AM. Cat in the Cradle (can't remember artist), Moody Blues, Jim Croce, Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, Raindrops (can't remember artist), Steppenwolf, America, Eagles, James Taylor, 10CC I am sure there are more. Also liked Beach Boys

First stuff I owned (mid 70s):

Bachman Turner Overdrive, Not Fragile
    Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and Greatest Hits
    Chicago, a whole bunch. 25 or 6 to 4 was my football warm up song (I liked the earlier stuff's piano and brass, remember, I was taking piano at the time, Especially loved syncopated piano and anything honkey tonkish), Kiss

Then (1976 or so through 1979) a big shift into:
    VanHalen, first album
    Boston, First album
    Kansas
    Zeppelin
    EDIT: forgot to mention Pink Floyd, a big influence at the time.
    Lynyrd Skynrd
    Foghat
    Fleetwood Mac
    Foreigner
    Queen
    Yes
    I'll admit to some Styx and such too.

Then (1980-81) changed again and focused on:
    Early Beatles (primarily red album, some blue album)
    Early Stones (Hotrocks)
    Jazz, primarily fusion, such as Jeff Lorber Fusion. John Klemmer, Spyro Gyra, Silk (a fusion of some fusion artists)
    George Benson
    Earth Wind and Fire, a whole lot.

College, at University of Washington in Seattle 1981-1985, got there and listened mostly to:

Elvis Costello
    Clash
    U2
    Kingbees (rockabilly before Stray Cats)
    Stray Cats
    EDIT: FORGOT TO MENTION THE ROMANTICS, I really liked them!
    Head East
    Springsteen (before Born in the USA, emphasize The River, and Born to Run)
    AC/DC
    Def Leppard
    B52s
    EDIT: UB40 and similar reggae, Jimmy Cliff, and Peter Tosh
    Specials
    English Beat, the Beat
    Police
    The Pretenders
    Some Jimmy Buffet
    Violent Femmes, (a lot!)
    Talking Heads
    Much, but not all of what was on the first 2-3 years of MTV, kind of got away from Van Halen, etc. and any concert/arena oriented rock
    Emphasis on uptempo, 4/4 time songs that are over in about 2 minutes. Very few guitar solo songs.
    Still, the Beatles and Stones, fusion jazz and EWF and Benson
    Classical, and other instrumental (George Winston for example) for study tunes.
    I am sure there is more.

Law School (Salem, OR, near Portland), add to college list:
    SRV
    REM
    the Untouchables
    The Replacements
    Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper
    Crazy 8s (ska based Portland, OR band)
    More Reggae, Bob Marley, Wailers, others.
    Warren Zevon
    I think I bought Bon Jovi's Slippery when Wet too.

Post school, adult life, add to the above:

Most of the 90s were Grunge (Nirvana, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, etc., some Pearl Jam, like Crazy Mary) and neo punk (Greenday, Offspring) oriented, living at the time in Tacoma, near Seattle. Also, add in things like Blues Traveler, Paul Westerberg, EDIT: NEIL YOUNG, starting with Harvest Moon and Unplugged, Tom Petty, post Clash projects, essentially two playlists, adult contemp. and alternative (like Cowboy Junkies, Lyle Lovett, Bonnie Raitt, REM and post REM, Michelle Shocked, etc.) and end of the dial "harder" alternative playlists (like Seattle's 107.7 the End), including all the punky stuff above, the grunge stuff, and things like Sublime, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Jane's Addiction, etc.

Since then, continue to add artists to the above two type of playlists. Got a little stagnant out here in Idaho, and after having kids. Returned to classic rock and started learning more about earlier stuff I had heard but not really listened to, like earlier Neil Young, Hendrix, influences of SRV, people influenced by SRV, I added a lot to my blues and jazz playlists, going back in time. (Albert King, Coltrane, etc.)
    Spud and others here have turned me onto a whole bunch of new stuff, and my taking up guitar has renewed my interest in guitar oriented music in general. More blues, more jazz, more classic rock. And the list continues!

Man Sunvalley!! I gotta love you for putting the Jackson 5 down in your youth. I loved 'em too when I was very young...& Michelle Shocked! Yes, great story & nice choices all.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As the youngest in the family I grew up listening to some pretty dodgy UK pop records that my sisters/brother had. My older sister was also a big Elvis and Buddy Holly fan, she even bought me my first guitar. The first record I remember buying myself was 'Under a Blood Red Sky' by U2 and The Edge has been a huge musical influence on me ever since. Continuing the Irish theme in my teen years I became a big Thin Lizzy fan, especially the Live and Dangerous record. Another band that I became heavily influenced by during that era was Queen.

Around this time (late 80's) I started getting guitar lessons from a neighbor of mine who introduced me to Randy Rhodes, Van Halen, Satriani & Vai. I also started playing in a blues band so BB King, Hendrix & Clapton were on my horizon also. The next 5 years were the Hair Metal years for me with Richie Sambora being a big influence - I even got his signature Strat - this was very uncool in Dublin in the 1990's and I got alot of stick from my friends who were listening to the Pixies, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins etc. I then moved into an apartment with wafer thin walls which put pay to me playing electric guitar for a while, so I concentrated on acoustic and went to see an amazing artist Leo Kottke play a tiny gig in Dublin which is still my favorite gig of all time.

I guess in the last 5 or 6 years I've started taking the electric guitar more seriously again and gone back to blues influenced stuff, recently finding artists like Joe Bonamassa & John Mayer. I've also rediscovered bands that I kind of missed in my youth such as the Eagles, Pink Floyd, the Beatles, the Stones. The Fret has also opened my eyes to artists like Tommy Emmanuelle and I hope to discover more great music in the years to come.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Man Sunvalley!! I gotta love you for putting the Jackson 5 down in your youth. I loved 'em too when I was very young...& Michelle Shocked! Yes, great story & nice choices all.
    Interesting thing, I saw Michele Shocked (she played a local watering hole that gets in decent acts) a year or two ago. She had long dark hair instead of the shaved blonde look she had when I first saw her as a solo act with an acoustic guitar back in Seattle in 90 or so. She played with a full band, and it was a soulful, blues oriented rock show. She absolutely rocked. The English Beat (Dave Wakeling and supporting musicians) has played here twice lately, but I missed both times.

I also left off that I got into Celtic music of late, both more traditional, like Joanie Madden, Irish Whistle stuff, and Celtic rock, like the Electrics. According to the mags, I can claim being a late Boomer, or a GenXer. Musically, I have been more of an Xer.

EDIT: As I re-read this thread, I was struck by how I "missed" what I termed Woodstock era and following music. I was the oldest kid, my parents were a little older given the time's standards, and a little conservative. My Dad liked and played swing and Bix Beiderbecke oriented jazz on sax, but with the exception of Lonely Heart's Club, did not engage in any 60s or 70s rock. Therefore, my rock awareness really started with BTO, Van Halen, Zeppelin, Boston and the like. I did not really tear into Hendrix, Cream, etc. until much later, after wave and punk. According to the mags, I can claim being a late Boomer, or a GenXer. Musically, I have been more of an Xer. My wife has been more of a Boomer musically, as she had older brothers and was influenced more by the really long hair stuff.

I have been listening on-line to training seminars, so that is why I am spending so much time tapping away at this thread.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Lev]. The first record I remember buying myself was 'Under a Blood Red Sky' by U2 and The Edge has been a huge musical influence on me ever since. [QUOTE=LEV]

That was and is probably my favorite U2 as well, though I really like it all, except for maybe "Pop" era stuff. It seems I often like a band or musician's earlier release efforts best. John Mayer is an exception. Did not get into him until recently. I really have fun with this thread!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I also left off that I got into Celtic music of late, both more traditional, like Joanie Madden, Irish Whistle stuff, and Celtic rock, like the Electrics. According to the mags, I can claim being a late Boomer, or a GenXer. Musically, I have been more of an Xer.
    Have you heard Solas?
    EDIT: As I re-read this thread, I was struck by how I "missed" what I termed Woodstock era and following music. I was the oldest kid, my parents were a little older given the time's standards, and a little conservative. My Dad liked and played swing and Bix Beiderbecke oriented jazz on sax, but with the exception of Lonely Heart's Club, did not engage in any 60s or 70s rock.
    I have been listening on-line to training seminars, so that is why I am spending so much time tapping away at this thread.
    Bix Beiderbecke!!!!

I'm on the Boomer/X line too & I love both as well as earlier stuff & more recent stuff. I know that others around here will cringe, but I've *always* loved the Dead.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, with that gift of gab and attention to detail, you oughta be a lawyer! Oh, wait a minute....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Wow, with that gift of gab and attention to detail, you oughta be a lawyer! Oh, wait a minute....
    My old joke, what do you get when you cross a lawyer and a ski instructor . . .

EDIT: tot, no I have not heard Solas. I will research.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation My Music ... well mostly ...

Thank God for radio, friend's older siblings, and carnival workers (who play the coolest music on all their death trap rides) otherwise I might not have known about half this stuff at such an early age ...

- 1990 (11 yrs old)
    Guns N Roses, Metallica, R.E.M.

- 1991 (12 yrs old)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, MC Hammer, DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince

- 1992 (13 yrs old - Jr. High)
    Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soul Asylum, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Social Distortion, Sonic Youth

- 1993 (14 yrs old - Jr. High)
    Flaming Lips, Porno for Pyros, Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, Temple of the Dog, Queen

- 1994 (15 yrs old - High School)
    Blind Melon, Bush, Green Day, Hole, Live, Nine Inch Nails, The Offspring, Rage Against the Machine, Toadies, Weezer, Cranberries

- 1995 (16 yrs old - High School)
    Alanis Morissette, Foo Fighters, Garbage, No Doubt, Oasis, Our Lady Peace, Primus, Silverchair, Sublime, Bob Marley, Jimmy Buffett, Beastie Boys

- 1996 (17 yrs old - High School)
    Beck, Butthole Surfers, Dave Matthews Band, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, 311, The Ramones

- 1997 (18 yrs old - High School)
    Radiohead, Everclear, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Eagles, Steve Miller Band, The Who, Eric Clapton, John Lennon

- 1998 (19 yrs old - College)
    The Doors, Journey, Boston, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers Band, Peter Frampton, ELO, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane

- 1999 (20 yrs old - College)
    George Clinton, Prince, Wyclef Jean, The Fugees, Phish, Moe, Disco Biscuits, Grateful Dead ... dirty hippie

I'm positive I forgot a few along the way, but that is the best I could do off the top of my head and with a little help from wikipedia.
    Last edited by NPauly; March 2nd, 2007 at 02:41 AM. Reason: tyops toyps tyosp
    My Gear ...
    Roland Micro Cube, Traynor YCV20WR
    Ovation Cedar Balladeer, "Super-cute" Fender Strat, Squier M-80

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast