Thread: Champ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Champ?

Hello,

I ran across this site that had an article on building a Fender Champ. http://europa.spaceports.com/~fishbake/champ/chmp.htm

I want to build a small tube amp down the road for recording and I wondered what you guys thought about a Champ compared to an Epi Valve Junior? I could build this Champ pretty cheap but I have no idea how it would compare to the Epi VJ. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time and help.
    M29

Post Thanks / Like

If you build say a 5F1 champ it will be better than the Epi. First off the Epi is not designed on the "champ" circuit also building a kit gives you the ability to cherry pick components the Epi is an off the rack cheaper build. Now Im not saying the Epi is bad it hits a price point you pick it up and play. But if your capable and have the desire to build an amp go for it, building my 5E3 Deluxe was fun and rewarding. You can look at Weber kits, Mission Kits and there are a few others out there. Personally Id recommend building one.
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie