Thread: Singing and Playing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Singing and Playing

Can any of you play and sing at the same time? I for one, cannot! the only song i can play and sing at the same time is Yardbirds- For Your Love... While playing, i cant even answer yes or no questions without messing up. Are there any types of practices to help with singing and playing at the same time? Is it something that comes with experience? or does it have to be learned?
    Blues/Rock/Classic Rock Junkie!

Guitars:
    -Agile AL-2800 Dlx Les Paul
    -Fender MIM Strat
    -Fender DG-8 Acoustic
    Amps:
    -Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
    -Kustom 10W Practice Amp
    Pedals:
    -DigiTech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

MBaller.
    I used to have the same problem. It took me a long time to figure it out. What I did was to not copy the original phrasing of the song I was covering but started to switch it so that it was more comfortable and natural feeling for me. I just experimented a lot and did it A LOT! Also of importance was doing my own songs. I would take cereal boxes, letters to chicks, newspaper articles or whatever and then sing them to what ever rhythm I came up with. It made it hard to get it wrong that way and it gave me confidence that I could get a groove going and not stumble trying to cop someone else's phrasing.

Another thing I did was to put down the guitar and get a metronome and/or drum machine and start singing to the beat. I would try singing the same phrase ahead of the beat a little bit (rush it), on top of the beat (dead on), and behind the beat (drag). Just experiment but do it untill your eyes pop out or you turn 40 years old. Then you'll have it for sure. If you are already 40 then, hmmmm.......

All this time you should be getting rhythym really programed into your picking/strumming hand so that you can't loose the beat no matter what. Try thumping on what ever you can find with your hands during the times that you can't play guitar. Whatever you can think to do to become a HUMAN RHYTHM MACHINE! Then it's easy.....well, some of the time ;-)

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Try singing "in your head" whenever you're playing. When there's singing in a fast riff part, try it slow at first, both riff and singing, 'till you're feeling comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great topic. Just this past weekend during New Years Eve I was handed an acoustic and asked to play a variety of songs people yelled out to me. While I was able to fill their fix of songs I was forced to explain to them that I could not sing and play at the same time. I would give anything if I could. I can oooooo and ahhhhhh and la la laaaa sure in harmony...but lead vocals while playing still eludes me. I suppose I should practice.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

yeah tone!! i feel ya! i see guys that are playing and singing with ease, and im just in awe (when they play difficult riffs and sing). i went to a show a few weeks ago, and it was kinda a comedy band, and i could prolly do the same thing, if i could only sing and play!
    Blues/Rock/Classic Rock Junkie!

Guitars:
    -Agile AL-2800 Dlx Les Paul
    -Fender MIM Strat
    -Fender DG-8 Acoustic
    Amps:
    -Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
    -Kustom 10W Practice Amp
    Pedals:
    -DigiTech Bad Monkey

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

It can be done, with lots of practice and repitition. I'm with Spudman. Keep at it, and eventually it'll come easier and easier. Just don't be afraid to let others hear your moanin' vocals!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend starting with a song that's easy to sing and play at the same time to. For me, Motorhead's version of Jumping Jack Flash was the first song I could sing & play at the same time to. My voice isn't as harsh as Lemmy's, but it got me started. Then I did Judas Priest's Living After Midnight and so on. It just takes practice and patience.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix