Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
King of the Blues Backing Tracks

Thread: King of the Blues Backing Tracks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default King of the Blues Backing Tracks

The Guitar Centre 'King of the Blues' competeition website has some excellent backing tracks to jam over

http://www.gckingoftheblues.com/stat...ng_tracks.html

It's actually a pretty cool web site - any fretters thinking about entering the competition? Not sure about the merits of competion between blues guitarists but I guess it could be fun.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! I bet we could have some fun here with several of these. The sound quality on the ones I checked out is great....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I ganked them all a while back. A friend pointed them out to me and I too was impressed at the sound quality. There are a few there I plan to work with. Thanks for posting the link for others to enjoy.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link Lev.
    Great stuff to practice to. What a quality......this will be fun! Can't wait to get home tonight and play.

Let those guys battle for the title of the next big blues thing, I think we lean back and benefit from those sweet tracks.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lev,

I entered that contest last year at our local Guitar Center. It was a worthwhile event and forced me to practice much harder for several months to get ready for the event. It's kind of like an "American Idol" style contest only for guitar players. You select a backing track and play solo's over it in front of a panel of 3 judges. The competition has several levels (local store, district, regional, and final level) At the more advanced levels they give away some very nice gear. Last year they gave away Les Pauls, 335's, Gibson Acoustic Guitars and lots of other stuff if you made it up to the district level.

They rate you on several aspects including your overall playing and stage presence. It was a little nerve racking but a lot of fun. The other contestants were nice folks and very supportive for the most part.

I would enter it again but not this year. Maybe next year.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's great! Would love to see vid or hear audio of your performance. At the risk of being impolite, how did you fare?

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    Hi Lev,

I entered that contest last year at our local Guitar Center. It was a worthwhile event and forced me to practice much harder for several months to get ready for the event. It's kind of like an "American Idol" style contest only for guitar players. You select a backing track and play solo's over it in front of a panel of 3 judges. The competition has several levels (local store, district, regional, and final level) At the more advanced levels they give away some very nice gear. Last year they gave away Les Pauls, 335's, Gibson Acoustic Guitars and lots of other stuff if you made it up to the district level.

They rate you on several aspects including your overall playing and stage presence. It was a little nerve racking but a lot of fun. The other contestants were nice folks and very supportive for the most part.

I would enter it again but not this year. Maybe next year.

-- Jim
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Nice find!! Some nice backings there.. Some talented people there uploading their sounds..
    thanks for the link
    Look forward to some Fretnet users uploading their takes on these backings.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sunvalleylaw,

No problem, I don't mind the question.
    I actually made it to round 2 at the store competition and lost out there. (almost made it to district level)

It was a bit of a painful experience because I felt that they guy who won at our store competition was not as good of a guitar player as several of us competing that night. He won based on the overall performance package which was high on stage presence, guitar faces, etc. I thought his guitar playing was pretty mediocre (very basic rock guitar riffs). But you never know what the judges are looking for. We had one guy on the panel of judges who was not even a musician, he was a local radio DJ.

I learned a lesson that night, and that would be to focus on the overall performance rather than just focussing on playing well. However, the guys who make do make it to the upper levels of the competition are quite good. At that level they look for originality on top of great playing. Some previous winners at the national level have done some amazing things. They have videos of some of the previous contest winners on Guitar Center's site. However, they don't allow video to be taken at the lower levels of the competition. I wanted to video tape my own performance so that I could look at it later to critique myself, but they wouldn't allow me to film.

In spite of it all, I had a great time doing this event. It's amazing how motivated you can get from a contest like this. That part was worth the whole experience. It forced me to come up with some new licks and even write a new tune and practice like crazy.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Jim. Great story!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson