Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Bad Monkey vs Tone Driver

Thread: Bad Monkey vs Tone Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad Monkey vs Tone Driver

time for a new pedal.. (purpose: blues, classic rock, country) Is the ($70) Tone Driver better than the ($40) Monkey? Let me re-phrase that to more versatile? Since the Bad Monkey seems to be the most popular overdrive pedal in this forum wondering if the Tone Driver is worth the extra coin with the morphing knob circuit... comments appreciated.
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

I own both and would rate the Bad Monkey the better value but the Tone Driver the more versatile pedal. The Monk also has a warmer and more natural tone, which is great if that's the particular tone you're looking for. It's designed to give a reasonable facsimile of an overdriven tube amp, and it does that very well. The separate bass and treble controls add a nice dimension of adjustability that most basic overdrive pedals don't have. It's an outstanding blues pedal, in particular, though it will do classic overdriven rock tones quite well, also.

The Tone Driver's "morph" pedal is definitely a cool feature, since it gives you the ability to change the basic character of the overdriven tone, and features emulations of three classic OD pedals--the DOD 250, and the Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-9 and TS-808 models. You can get additional "hybrid" tones by positioning the morph control between these three settings. The only thing I don't like as much with the Tone Driver is that I find its output to be somewhat less natural sounding than the Bad Monkey or other analog OD pedals. I assume this is attributable to its digital technology. But if you're looking for a pedal that will do a broad range of overdrive tones at an extremely reasonable price point, it's a very good choice.

BTW, if you want to save a few bucks, check out these pedals on eBay. I got both of mine that way, used but in good condition, and paid less in total than you would for the Tone Driver new....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks "DVM" for the (as always) great advice!

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

Voodoo is pretty spot on.
    I own both pedals as well. If stranded on a desert island and could only have one I would choose the Tone Driver for its versatility. Both sound great though.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to use it in front of the Valve Jr to narrow the purpose down a little more...