Thread: School Recording Projects

Post Thanks / Like

Default School Recording Projects

Hi Guys,

I had the opportunity to work on a recording project for my daugter this weekend for her school social studies project. She was assigned the task to record a mock radio show from the era of the 1910-1920 and she asked me to help her with the recording. The kids had to write all of the material and include interviews with various people from the era, and include commercials for things that might have been around at that time, etc. I recorded her and her classmate's speaking segments and we made background music and sound effects for the different pieces. It was a blast and they all really enjoyed it. I think that we may have inspired a few kids to look at careers in media production. Some of them really got into it.

It was kind of fun to come up with little jingles for some of the commercials. We didn't do anything fancy, just basic parts using a general midi sound library, but it was fun writing these little tunes to try and make them fit the speaking parts.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Hey that's pretty cool Jim...what grade are the kids? My oldest is in Chorus right now and they recently had a performance last week. I read on a memo their teacher sent home that requested volunteers to help with the sound, lights etc. Dang had I read that in time I would have volunteered. As it was they had some of the older students doing everything and while it worked out...some of the production could have been better...and SAFER! Hardly any lights on the stage between songs and a few girls tripped over mic cables on the stage. Their lighting guy wasn't entirely skilled with the spot light! Working with kids is awesome good job Jim.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a great project...any chance we might get to hear the finished project?

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Hey that's pretty cool Jim...what grade are the kids? My oldest is in Chorus right now and they recently had a performance last week. I read on a memo their teacher sent home that requested volunteers to help with the sound, lights etc. Dang had I read that in time I would have volunteered. As it was they had some of the older students doing everything and while it worked out...some of the production could have been better...and SAFER! Hardly any lights on the stage between songs and a few girls tripped over mic cables on the stage. Their lighting guy wasn't entirely skilled with the spot light! Working with kids is awesome good job Jim.
    Hi Tone,

These kids are in their second year of high school. They did a great good job on this. Most of the material was researched on the internet (wikipedia, etc), then they just wrote up some dialog between a radio interviewer and the subject to make it sound like a radio show. I tried to find as many sound effects as I could to sprinkle through the interviews. Some of them worked really well. I found a real cheesy analog synth sound that worked well for mimicing a Telegraph sound to use behind the "breaking news" segment. We also used the sound of airplanes and explosions during one part where they were interviewing a soldier.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    Hi Tone,

These kids are in their second year of high school. They did a great good job on this. Most of the material was researched on the internet (wikipedia, etc), then they just wrote up some dialog between a radio interviewer and the subject to make it sound like a radio show. I tried to find as many sound effects as I could to sprinkle through the interviews. Some of them worked really well. I found a real cheesy analog synth sound that worked well for mimicing a Telegraph sound to use behind the "breaking news" segment. We also used the sound of airplanes and explosions during one part where they were interviewing a soldier.

-- Jim
    That's great! I can imagine all of that. I agree with Warren about getting a chance to hear how it came out?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz