Thread: Epi or Agile

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epi or Agile

OK, im sure this has been desucused before but what do you think it a better guitar a Epiphone standard lp or an agile one?
    Random Gear
    Ibanez S470(sold)
    Fender Strat MIM (sold)
    Ibanez Iceman ic300(sadly sold)
    Ibanez Iceman X
    Squier afinity strat
    Fender 12 String Acoustic
    Conn 12 String Acoustic
    Old 70's Tiesco Electric
    Old Silvertone steel Guitar (50's)
    Samick Bass stingray copy
    Fender bassman (73)
    Peavey Bandit 112 (sold)
    Jordan entertainer 110 (72)
    Fender usa strat (stolen)

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme (Qotsa)

Post Thanks / Like

I have both and probably would not pick one over the other. They are probably equally good. You'll be happy with either as long as you choose a nicer model of each. For instance, the Agile 2500 over the 2000 or the Epi LP Standard or Elite over the LP100.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say anything about an Agile since I've never played one but, for what it's worth, I have an Epi LP Standard Plus and I think it's hip as clibbus. Plays great and certainly worth the purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Epi or Agile

I've had 3 Epi's Sold them all due to poor quality/ sound /electronics. I bought just one Agile AL3000, I was hooked! Brand names aren't always what they seem.
    Agile AL3000 Lefty
    Alvarez RD20L Lefty
    Blueridge BR-70 Lefty
    FenderMIM Strat Lefty
    LTD Viper400 Lefty
    Fender 50th Deluxe Lefty
    Fender MIM Telecaster Lefty
    Line6 Spider lll 75 righty
    VOX AD50VT 212 righty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fendermojoman
    I've had 3 Epi's Sold them all due to poor quality/ sound /electronics. I bought just one Agile AL3000, I was hooked! Brand names aren't always what they seem.
    Glad to hear that you like the Agile. I love mine too.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danzego
    I can't say anything about an Agile since I've never played one but, for what it's worth, I have an Epi LP Standard Plus and I think it's hip as clibbus. Plays great and certainly worth the purchase.
    I'll bite: what or who is clibbus?!?

-----------------edit-----------------------------
    I just googled clibbus & your post is the only listing!

http://www.google.com/search?q=clibb...e7&rlz=1I7GGLD

There's a name for that, but I forget.

In any case, you get infinitely many totally hip points for inventing clibbus!!!
    Nice Job.

I think clibbus is something you add to a sandwich, right?
    Only the folks that live in outer Urbania would know what clibbus is.

I too will add points for bringing fringe culture to thefret.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

It's sort of a Googlewhack, although that's supposed to be two words without quotes.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I'd think generally Epi/Agile are pretty similar, except that you pay more for the Epi name, and the quality control on Epi's isn't as tight as on Agiles.

I've owned an Epi SG (G400) and an Agile SG (Valkyrie II). The Epi was $175 used, the Valkyrie had been selling for ~$240 new but I got mine on closeout for $99.

Since the Agile had P-90's and the Epi had HB's (and I had a lot of other HB'd guitars), after I got the Agile I sold the Epi. Nothing wrong with the Epi, other than slightly muffled pickup response, it just became redundant vis-a-vis what else I had.

Basically I like both Agiles and Epi's (I've also owned an Epi Flying V), for any given guitar each could equal or surpass the other, but the Agile will more typically be better bang-for-buck.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't really comment on an Epi since I never owned one, but I do own the Agile AL-3000. Back in the early 90's I owned a Gibson Les Paul Studio which at that time sold for around $800.

I'm blown away by the Agile in terms of quality and tone. I would definitely say that the Agile is equally as good as the Gibson I owned. The Gibson Les Paul Studios in the early 90's had the dot inlays, and were pretty basic with no binding, etc.

The Agile really surprised me and I am considering getting another one down the road. It is THAT good.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought two different Epiphone guitars, one is their '56 Gold top with p90's and one is the Wildkat. Maybe I got two great ones, but both are super in fit, finish, setup and playability. So far I really like both stock. The Gold top plays so damned well and everything on it makes it feel like some of the Historics I used to own. Both have fret jobs that pass some high end Gibson's I've owned. The only complaint I can come up with is a tuner on the Gold Top isn't lined up perfectly and gets really hard to turn through part of it's gear ratio. I have owned Agiles and they are very good too, but found that Epiphone's have next to no minor cosmetic issues such as wood joints, filler flaws and sloppy binding like I've seen on some Agiles. Just my two cents.
    Main Rig - Reverend Wolfman > Korg Pitchblack tuner >Vox Clyde Wah > MXR HW Script Phase 90 > MXR 108 Fuzz > Diaz Texas Ranger > Nova Drive > VL Analog Chorus > ModTone Analog Delay > Vox Night Train > 60's Vox 2x12 (Scumback M75 and Hellatone 30)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Riley
    I just bought two different Epiphone guitars, one is their '56 Gold top with p90's and one is the Wildkat. Maybe I got two great ones, but both are super in fit, finish, setup and playability. So far I really like both stock. The Gold top plays so damned well and everything on it makes it feel like some of the Historics I used to own. Both have fret jobs that pass some high end Gibson's I've owned. The only complaint I can come up with is a tuner on the Gold Top isn't lined up perfectly and gets really hard to turn through part of it's gear ratio. I have owned Agiles and they are very good too, but found that Epiphone's have next to no minor cosmetic issues such as wood joints, filler flaws and sloppy binding like I've seen on some Agiles. Just my two cents.
    Both those two models are sorta the flagships of the non-MIJ/non-USA Epi's though-- pretty much near the top of the Epi line before you go over to the Elitist. I've always heard good things about both the Wild Kat and the Goldtop (both are on my mental "guitars of interest" list).