Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
New Strat -- Squier or SX?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Strat -- Squier or SX?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Strat -- Squier or SX?

I am considering two possible Strats (within my budget) and would like to hear your thoughts.

1. Squier® Affinity Series Stratocaster Special Electric Guitar -
    pros: cost $149.99 at MF
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=511276
    • Alder body
    • Maple neck (9.5" radius)
    • medium jumbo frets
    • two-tone burst

con:
    large squier headstock (I do not like the aesthetic for some reason)

2. SX SST57 Vintage
    http://www.rondomusic.net/sst57.html
    pros:
    • maple neck (14" radius -- big neck profile -- sheesh)
    • alder body
    • two tone burst
    • vintage tint on neck
    • $40 cheaper

cons:
    • a little leary about inconsistent craftsmanship
    • 14" radius -- big neck profile -- sheesh!

I will be modding electronics, nut, and tuners on each. I will not use the trem.

Thanks.

Stan
    Last edited by Sblack; March 13th, 2007 at 07:33 AM.
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Stan, what about going with the Squire and modifying the headstock ? I've thought of that as well as I also think the Squire headstock is fugly.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a good thought, but I do not have a capable scroll saw or properly know how to shape the wood. I was thinking of removing the Squier decal and going the 70s Fender decal look.

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

My Music:

Post Thanks / Like

I'll defer to Robert or another SX Strat owner on that one, but I can tell you that I've played a couple of Affinity Strats and found them to be cheap & flimsy feeling. Didn't like the necks at all, and the thin profile body made it feel like a toy to me. If you go with a Squier Strat, I'd strongly recommend saving another $50 and getting one of the "standard" models. Just one man's opinion....

BTW, I still have a heckuva deal available on a Squier Tele! Didn't get it posted on eBay yet....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

They are both cheap quality, but the SX is a cooler guitar in my view. Better? Not sure. Tremoloman thinks so. My SX Strat had some issues with the neck, which I don't like as much as the Squier necks. The SX sounds better though to my ears.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys.

I am now considering spending a little more and getting one of the new vintage modified SSS Squier strats -- $299.00 is a little more than I want to spend, though.

Also, I am afraid that neither the Squier Affinity nor the SX will even come close to feel and tone of my '51.

These things are tough to decide.

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

My Music:

Post Thanks / Like

I just got one of these for $149. It is a Squier Satin Trans Strat. It is a Squier Standard series for the same price as the Affinity series, which I believe means it has upgraded hardware, pickups, etc. I am a beginner and far from an expert, but I think it sounds better than my '51. I can also see that the bridge and other hardware are nicer than on my '51.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

That's a nice deal. Much preferable to an Affinity Strat, IMO. Wrong link, though. I think you wanted THIS ONE?

Sblack, I think this would be more in line with your quality/playability expectations, and at a very reasonable price.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sblack
    cons:
    • a little leary about inconsistent craftsmanship
    • 14" radius -- big neck profile -- sheesh!
    The radius has nothing to do with how big or wide the neck is. It describes how flat the fretboard is. The bigger the radius, the flatter the fretboard.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Something is wrong with that website. The link keeps changing to a different item. Here it is on Squier's site: Click Here

But samash.com does have it for $149. Try searching by item# F16305. It was $169 for quite awhile, but recently dropped to $149.
    Last edited by jasongins; March 13th, 2007 at 03:45 PM.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

The new vintage modified Squiers are pretty good, but for that price you can pick up a used in good shape 2000-2005 Mexican Strat.

Also look for any of the Special Edition Squier Standards. MF had some not long ago but are now discontinued. Less than $200.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the SX. Modifying a headstock could lead to sound loss. If you do not like the headstock of the Squire this will always be your first thought when picking up the guitar each day!

I have checked quite a bunch of Squires in the last couple weeks and especially the affinity series is getting worse and worse...sharp frets, laquer mistakes and so on.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you, Robert. The SX is "cooler" looking than the Squier, and although this shouldn't be the overall deciding factor, it weighs in heavily.

At this point, I am thinking SX the SST57 is the way to go. Kurt has a positive record for customer service. Although it is a gamble whether I'll get a decent one, I will bank on Kurt's honesty according to other patrons of Rondo.

Now which color do I choose? I initially liked the 2-tone burst (and still do), but now I like the powder blue (thanks to Tremoloman) and vintage white (thanks to Robert), too.
    Last edited by Sblack; March 14th, 2007 at 04:22 PM.

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

My Music:

Post Thanks / Like

Order two at the same time. If the neck is bad on the one you really want then you can swap it with the other neck and then send that other guitar back with the bad neck.

I've experienced humps in the necks of the SX's that I had ordered and sent them back. I've also done this with a couple other brands and the replacements played better but the sound wasn't the same on the replacement guitars. I was wishing I could have kept the original guitar and just replaced the defective neck. That would have made me happy.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the powder blue/maple neck (and am still thinking about getting one), with vintage white running a close second.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasongins
    I love the powder blue/maple neck....
    Yup, I like that color, too, but I like THIS ONE even better!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Sblack -

Did you get an SX yet? If so, you have to tell us all about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I just can't commit to the SX SST57 at this point. I played a few Squier Affinity and Standards at GC, and although I liked the play/feel of the Squier Standard, I can't get past the lame headstock. The Affinities, on the other hand, felt "junky."

I am waiting and saving for a Mexican Standard Stratocaster.

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

My Music:

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like Buffalo Bros has one G&L Tribute S-500 (strat) left at blow out, which was 299.00 + shipping back then.

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/gAndL.htm

If that's not more than you want to spend, don't hate the color, etc, it might be worth locating a dealer near you to check one out before it's gone. I'm still a newbie, but my G&L is flat out the best quality guitar I have yet owned, including the DOT I just got, and I really like the tone/s.
    Good Luck finding the sharpest axe!
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast