Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Guitar teachers - are you happy with yours?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitar teachers - are you happy with yours?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Guitar teachers - are you happy with yours?

Looking for content lesson takers...

1. If you are content with your teacher, can you describe what you appreciate the most?
    2. What makes him/her a great guitar teacher?
    3. What are some bad experiences you've had, where you didn't learn much from the teacher?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Great topic for discussion Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    If you are content with your teacher, can you describe what you appreciate the most?
    Having the right balance and focus on music theory, technique, playing and advice on practice regimen.

What makes him/her a great guitar teacher?
    Align homework/practice regimen with goals of student. Ensure focus is on goals of the student rather than on what the instructor enjoys teaching.

What are some bad experiences you've had, where you didn't learn much from the teacher?
    One of my instructors was focused way too much on theory and reading music, which I think is important, but I was a beginner at the time and suffering from not having the mechanics down, so I needed much more instruction on "how" to play. This led to frustrating practice regimens. I still can't read sheet music (tab only), but I found another instructor that has similar musical tastes that can balance technique and theory instruction. Occasionally, we just have fun and spend the lesson time taking turns playing leads over the others chord progression. I've learned so much that way.

I've recently taken a haitus from lessons because my wife and I are expecting our first child very soon, but hope to get back to it in a couple of months.

Guitars: 2001 Fender Fat Strat (MiM), Epi Les Paul Plus Top, 2004 Taylor 310ce, Washburn Rover
    Amps: Vox AD50VT, Fender Blues Jr.
    Pedals/Gear: DVM's ZYS, Fulltone OCD, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q, Boss TU-2, Digitech JamMan, Presonus TubePre, Boss BR-600

Post Thanks / Like

my teacher sucks....he can barely find the pentatonic scale....has no music theory knowledge at all....and he dresses funny!!

oh yea....my teacher is ME!! I really am interested in this thread though because i have thought about taking lessons from time to time...

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Those problems with the dress code are well documented on this forum, Warren... but staying well nourished is important, and pancakes are a great choice.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for content lesson takers...

1. If you are content with your teacher, can you describe what you appreciate the most?
    2. What makes him/her a great guitar teacher?
    3. What are some bad experiences you've had, where you didn't learn much from the teacher?
    My "teacher" is Doug Marks of Metal Method fame. I like that besides teaching he also provides little motivational bits to keep you pointed in the right direction. Learning to play well is a long, sometimes frustrating road. From what I've seen of the new revision of the course, he applies the lessons learned in each stage to a solo that you know by the end of the stage. That way, you see practical application of what you learned. He actually managed to teach me music theory, which is no small feat.

My bad experience was in 8th grade with a teacher who insisted on having me learn to read music and jammed the Mel Bay stuff down my throat. I didn't want to be playing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" (not the SRV version) and crap like that. It turned guitar playing into something that definitely was not cool. To his credit, he did have me choose from a list of songs to learn so we worked on that too.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

After trying online lessons, I was fortunate enough to find a teacher to fit my schedule, and even more fortunate that his home studio is just around the corner from where I work. I go for a one hour bi-weekly lesson before work on Thursday mornings. While I am definitely not a morning person, I was thrilled to get this accommodation. Teaching guitar is his full time occupation, and I am impressed with his dedication, organization, patience, and interest in what I like to listen to and desire to play. His style is to teach a technique and then show how it can be applied, such as by playing along with a backing track. He tries not to overwhelm with theory early on (though I do find it interesting), rather he tries to get people playing a bit so they won't quit. I leave each lesson with a bunch of things to work on. It seems overwhelming at the time, but by the time the next lesson rolls around 2 weeks later, I seem to have a handle on it. While I have very far to go, I am thrilled with how far I've come in just three or four lessons.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

I teach myself too, although I usually follow a more ummm hygenic dress code than Warren. I'll always at least have boxers on.

I'm perfectly content teaching myself. I've learnt a lot of theory & I prefer music notation to tab because find stuff like that fun. Yes, I'm a nerd. I taught myself to speak French & get looks of amazement from native speakers about my accent & fluidity, so I'm hoping that I can learn to play the guitar as well.

I'd get lessons for someone to play with & to learn a few inside tricks. That's the main thing. At some point I'll probably just try to scare up some other musicians close to my level and play with them.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I teach myself too, although I usually follow a more ummm hygenic dress code than Warren. I'll always at least have boxers on.
    hey man....i have never played my guitar in the buff....that's all i'm saying....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, I think that there would be a difference in what people want in a teacher based on age. Are you asking in general or do you have an age group in mind?

I think that the ideal thing would be to pick some piece of music that the student desperately wants to learn & think about what techniques, theory, and ideas are necessary to play that piece well. Then teach to that. I don't mean only play that song, I mean play bits and pieces of other songs that are similar, but pehaps simpler and which build on each other. You may show something contrasting so that the basic idea stands out. And whenever the student has some mastery of a technique then go back to the part of the song with that in it and play that. Then move away from the song to explore another technique.

I think is the student knows that he/she is building toward being able to play one of their favorite songs, then they'll have a drive to learn the appropriate basics along the way.

Well, that's my 2 cents anyway.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I am asking in general. I find some of my students are not so motivated, and I try different ways of teaching them, but they are teenagers and probably have lots of other things on their mind.

The older students I have are more motivated, but don't necessarily practice that much either.

The thing most of them are missing, even though I tell them over and over, is that practice is what makes you better. Seeing a teacher every week if you don't practice, is in my opinion wasting time and money.

I have been wondering what I can do differently for those "problem students". I lose my motivation when I try different ways of showing them information and they still don't seem interested.

Post Thanks / Like

I am asking in general. I find some of my students are not so motivated, and I try different ways of teaching them, but they are teenagers and probably have lots of other things on their mind.

The older students I have are more motivated, but don't necessarily practice that much either.

The thing most of them are missing, even though I tell them over and over, is that practice is what makes you better. Seeing a teacher every week if you don't practice, is in my opinion wasting time and money.

I have been wondering what I can do differently for those "problem students". I lose my motivation when I try different ways of showing them information and they still don't seem interested.

I would say that it generally takes longer to learn the guitar than most guitar teachers have patience for. I practice quite a bit, I am improving, but very slowly.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing my teacher did that I like is said, "bring in any song from any CD and I will teach you how to play it." So every couple of weeks I would bring in a new song. We would spend half the time on what he wanted to teach me and half the time working out the song I brought in.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a tough one Robert! I dunno how you can be expected to provide motivation & the adults will do what they please. If they don't wanna or can't practice, what can you do?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moshe
    One thing my teacher did that I like is said, "bring in any song from any CD and I will teach you how to play it." So every couple of weeks I would bring in a new song. We would spend half the time on what he wanted to teach me and half the time working out the song I brought in.
    That is what my instructor is doing with my son. He is taking him through the Hal Leonard book and letting him pick a song he likes too. Right now, he wants to do Weezer's Buddy Holly . We just have to find some music for him. I like that particular Weezer album, so it will be fun for us to learn together.

I have been stuck in my progress through my instructor, so I have been thinking about a response to this thread for myself. I need to still think it through, though.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

One of my students wants to play punk rock songs - you know, the ones with 3 power chords and you just whack the chords aggressively and move the power chord where it needs to go. After learning a few songs like that, there isn't much need for a teacher, if that's all one wants to do. That is part of my frustration with this one student. I do show how to play certain songs they like, but if they pick the same kind of songs all the time, there's not much learning happening and progress is minimal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, that is why the agreement in my son's situation is that Mike gets to pick the other material other than one song they are working on. My son is ok with that and starting young enough (9) to be open to other types of music. He seems to like the other stuff he is learning too. He also has an interest in surf guitar. But I think letting Mike, the instructor, have most of the control helps. It has not been a problem yet, but I think our agreement is that my son cannot pick a new song until he has mastered the assigned learning as well.

This is not really on point, but I was trying to work on a solo on a piece my instructor, another student, and I are trying to learn to perform. I was playing along to the chord progression I had recorded into my looper, and concentrating on the solo. Lo and behold, there was my son who had taken out his guitar, and was playing the rhytm with me! That was so cool. It was piece assigned by the instructor too. Secret Agent Man. My son knows the intro and can play the chords. Not well yet, but he can play them.

EDIT: It is also key letting him work things out with his instructor. It is not productive to inject my goals, other than that he enjoy it, practice a reasonble amount, given age and other activities, and progress at least some. At this age, I think it most important that he enjoy it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Very good topic Robert.

I had an excellent teacher. First of all he has a music / teaching studio in the basement of his house. Very nice atmosphere. My teacher kind of analized me within the first couple of lessons and then presented me a plan on what we can work and which aims we will set on a step by step basis. Realizing what I could already play and how we can sort the things. He called this a "drawer system". Blues to blues, Rock to Rock and then mix it. His approach wasn't very technical, he wanted you to develop a general knowledge like for e.g. building chords, listening to other instruments, transcribe music, recognize chord structure when listening to a song. I always had homework to do with the aim to understand what I play. He said I only believe that you can play something when you can prove that you understand it, everything else is "drilled circus monkey" playing! For example, one day at the beginning of a lesson he said okay let us play Little Wing or Hotel California in a totally different key and please play every chord arpeggiated!!!!! Bang my friend! There you go, how about that? If you did not understand the relation between chords you were lost :-)

We analized Hendrix's and Vaughan's playing style in detail, researching their backgrounds and finally being abel to know why they played the way they played.

Further to that I myself found it very important to be able to spend the lesson talking to him about general musical things or sometimes personal issues without touching the guitar. This changed my general attitude and respect towards muscial companions and it let me grow. He was able to make me a better player and a better person.

I took lessons with him when I was 14-15 years old (Metal) for a year and then when I was 24 years old for another year. We did a year study in blues rock and jazz, sidereading and some other stuff.

What I appreciated most was that he was always prepared. The lessons did not start like "okay we stopped with Pentatonics" let us go on there, no no he was able to foresee where I would be after I had done my homework so every lesson started with a challenge and I was happy to pass it because I needed prove for my improvement.

To me he is still the best German guitar teacher and without him I would not be the musician I am today. I am considering taking lessons again with him to become a better songwriter.

What I want to say is that I do not only claim from a teacher that he shows me all tricks, I want a teacher to be a Sensei, a Master, a person you look up to.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jimi: think that is what I am looking for that I am not getting right now. I need to talk to Mike and see if we can approach things that way. He knows, plays and teaches at least three instruments I can think of and has a music degree, so it seems he could. Right now, my lessons are haphazard, just whatever comes up. Most of his guitar background is folk/rock acoustic oriented. At lessons, I do not feel we use a planned approach developing understanding. We are typically working on a couple songs at any one time. He has as much said he tries to figure out what to teach me that day when I get there.

What I like: He is open to teaching what I want to learn, and is encouraging. He is good with my son and around here, the kids I know tend to like him best as a teacher.

What I don't like: In addition to the absences noted above, a little inconsistent in mood and approach. Not consistent from week to week on what we are learning/working on.

In fairness, part of the inconsistency is my fault. I am interested in many kinds of music, and sometimes come in and show him something I learned here, or ask him about a song I want to learn. Like I said, I need to talk to him about it directly.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

@Sunvalleylaw:

I know it is difficult but you have to set and define your musical priorities. This gives your teacher the chance to be prepared. If you kind of have a musical melting pot and bring up mixed things with every lesson then the red line is missing.

For me it was difficult, too, but I decided to go Blues first as everything started with the blues and then I went further down the road to Blues Rock, Rock, Jazz.

Make a plan and show him. Built it logically so that the styles grow on each other and you have fluent frontiers.

Very important, give yourself at least a year of time to spend with one or two styles at maximum.

Good luck my friend!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast