Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Oversinging in popular music?

Thread: Oversinging in popular music?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Oversinging/Overplaying in popular music?

Oversinging in popular music?

http://www.thenewstribune.com/ae/sto...-5723399c.html

What say you?

How is oversinging and overreaching vocally similar or different than a screeching guitar solo with major guitar face? At what point does a solo start to become "overplaying" or "trying too hard"?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    At what point does a solo start to become "overplaying" or "trying too hard"?
    At this point:

I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's the point where the singing or soloing becomes more than the song itself. I don't think anyone has ever sung "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" better than Judy Garland did originally, but every prima donna thinks they can make it better by adding a million flourishes. As an aside, back in the day I was at a bar that had karaoke. Someone came up and did an over-the-top rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and was actually booed off the stage. His voice was obviously far superior to anyone else's who sang that night, but the point was that he made himself bigger than the song and wanted to show how much better he was than everyone else.

My example from a guitar standpoint is Shawn Lane's cover of "All Along the Watchtower." It starts out OK, but very quickly descends into a series of unnecessary and self-indulgent fills. The solo at the end is particularly annoying. Obviously he was talented, but there's no restraint here at all.

One "shredder" I've been impressed with in this regard is Michael Angelo Batio. Yeah, he can do all of the tricks and do the "fistful of nails into a tin can" thing, but he also knows that you can't have a song full of that. He knows when to hold it back and when to listen to it rip. Listen to some Vivaldi some day. That guy was the original shredder. But it wasn't "all shredding, all the time" either.

Also SS showed a picture of his countryman there, but Yngwie's cover of "Spanish Castle Magic" is surprisingly good. He shows the restraint through most of that song that Lane does not.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Not a big fan of the "pushin' it" crowd. I'll take Etta or Billie Holiday any day over the current pop divas. Some of the best vocal performances I've ever heard were very understated, heck even Willie and Ol' Waylon can bring a tear to my eye sometimes. You don't have to belt it out to get a song across to an audience.

One of the best vocal performances I've heard in recent months is William Shatner's (yes, THAT William Shatner) version of "Common People". Seriously, you have to check it out! It's the best freakin' song in the universe
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Don't even compare Yngwie to the talent deficient, tasteless bums this article is referring to. Yes, Yngwie is over the top and he sure doesn't tear out emotional guitar solos like, say, SRV or David Gilmour, but that's not his "thing".

Maybe it does take him hundreds more notes to get there or maybe he doesn't even reach that plateau; depends on your taste and your ear. But what he does isn't even close to a comparison to "American Idol-ites" and their kind.

Post Thanks / Like

That is where I was going to go with this...American Idol. It seems like a "technique fest". While musically correct it certainly doesn't sell me on the song.
    It takes special talent to make you really believe the song, not a million flourishes. Can you imagine "Maybe I'm Amazed" with an Yngwie solo in it? Nah, me either. Some songs call for it some don't. The true artistry lies in figuring out what goes where.
    I worked with a very capable bassist and during a fairly simple song he just stared doing a major technique fest. Musically it was correct and it did fit, but I asked him "do you really feel that what you are doing supports the song and as a listener you would enjoy it?" I won that round.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

That is where I was going to go with this...American Idol. It seems like a "technique fest". While musically correct it certainly doesn't sell me on the song.
    Man, this topic is a sore spot for me for sure, as music becomes filled with "American Idol" types, and the guitar hero has slowly faded away with popular music.

I think though that this topic kind of speaks for itself: how many American Idol stars for example, have really hit a level of "fame and fortune" or popularity that many of yesteryear's stars have? Look at the "pop tarts" like Britney Spears, etc., whose popularity relies on publicity stunts like not wearing undies in public, going to rehab, or who they're dating lately. Are they going to be known as great vocalists 10 years from now? I doubt it. 10 years from now though, we'll still remember great guitarists and songwriters like Hendrix, SRV, etc.

I had the chance a few months ago to see Eric Johnson and Satch do a show together. Great concert and great chops by both. But to be honest, after about the 10th song by Satch, it started to get stale for me. He's a great player, but yes, it does become overkill after a while (just my opinion).

I'd rather kick back and listen to Otis Redding belt out "Sittin' On The Dock Of the Bay" anyday, rather than some of these American Idol types.

Today's music (especially the vocals) lack emotion and soul in my opinion.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the secrets of being a great guitar player is knowing when not to play....................
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok guys. This is great. Just the stuff I wanted to read discussed. Now, for the beginner who is just learning to solo (mostly pentatonic, trying to add in some chromatic, etc.) what are some of the fundamentals to nail down. I was thinking working on a good controlled vibrato for expression, learning more about timing and feel, (when to play, when not), learning more about nailing pitch on bends, I don't know what else. My aim is to learn to express more with less. I guess it comes down to studying what is really going right on a good solo.

I have heard three or four versions of Mayer's solo on Gravity. It seems to me at this time that I like the simple ones better. Even compared to the youtube one John apparently released that was posted on a thread a few weeks ago. Just my taste. I am going to listen to the different versions I have access to this week and compare just to see what I think works and doesn't.

Marnold, my Dad plays "Somewhere over the rainbow" as part of his regular numbers he plays as an amateur on his alto and tenor saxaphones. I totally agree with your post. Although my Dad has a jazz background, he sticks close to the original song. I tend to think he nails it. :-)
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    One of the secrets of being a great guitar player is knowing when not to play....................
    Bingo ding ding ding Ladies and germs we have a winner!!!!!!!!
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    I think though that this topic kind of speaks for itself: how many American Idol stars for example, have really hit a level of "fame and fortune" or popularity that many of yesteryear's stars have? Look at the "pop tarts" like Britney Spears, etc., whose popularity relies on publicity stunts like not wearing undies in public, going to rehab, or who they're dating lately. Are they going to be known as great vocalists 10 years from now? I doubt it. 10 years from now though, we'll still remember great guitarists and songwriters like Hendrix, SRV, etc.
    There's a good reason for that. I mean, it's not like there's a shortage of talented, unsigned acts and artists out there. The record companies don't want to sign bands that are going to go on and make themselves lots of money, get themselves into a position of power, demand the rights to their publishing and higher royalties, etc. They want to keep signing "flavor of the month's" who are dying for their 15 minutes of fame (though they all think they'll be the one to last, of course) for peanuts, get their windfalls, and then dump 'em on their heads when the kiddies move on to the next one the record company just signed and is now throwing all of their resources behind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    I was thinking about this excellent point, but learning how? I then stumbled on this thread where Plank's point was discussed by Kat (beginning of second page of thread):

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1073

So, time to dust off my old Stones stuff and listen to Keef!! I think I'll try to import some licks into the looper and try to play along.

This place is so cool for learning!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    Not a big fan of the "pushin' it" crowd. I'll take Etta or Billie Holiday any day over the current pop divas. Some of the best vocal performances I've ever heard were very understated, heck even Willie and Ol' Waylon can bring a tear to my eye sometimes. You don't have to belt it out to get a song across to an audience.

One of the best vocal performances I've heard in recent months is William Shatner's (yes, THAT William Shatner) version of "Common People". Seriously, you have to check it out! It's the best freakin' song in the universe
    Etta! Billie! Waylon! Willie!

........................Shatner?!?
    I pick a moon dog.