Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black & Chrome Telecaster? Your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

One tip I can share about polishing the frets...

Use a board or small block of something flat and rigid between your hand and the steel wool. This puts a uniform surface in contact with the frets and you will get better results. You don't necessarily want to buff the fretboard. If you have a rosewood board you can use your palm or fingers instead especially if the fretboard needs cleaning or some restoration. You shouldn't do this with a maple fretboard. Steel wool is an abrasive substance and works like very fine sandpaper.

Make your polishing motions side to side not up and down the neck. This will get rid of any burrs or crosshatch cuts in the frets and make your bends smooth.

Do the whole neck. Wipe away the excess steel wool shavings and get some Formby's lemon oil treatment or some other kind of lemon oil or fretboard treatment. Put some on a rag, wipe it on, rub it in, let it soak in for a few minutes, wipe with a dry clean cloth. It will condition the rosewood and keep it from drying out and pitting. The steel wool can also smooth or remove small fretboard pitting if needed.

Instead of Finger Ease I just run my left hand through my hair occasionally to get the same effect. The light body oils from your hair are "yours" so it should be compatible with your hand. It's usually not enough to build up on the neck unless you use gunk in your hair. If that's the case don't do it. Richie Kotzen even does it during his guitar solo while on tour with Mr. Big. Check it out! This boy can play!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNz74...earch=mr%20big

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I've got a question for those of you with a B&C tele (or strat for that matter). Don't pickguard scratches really stick out on these? I would think this to be quite noticable.

Anyway, just curious.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips Trem, I am already using Nanoweb strings (I use the custom light). I will buy a bottle of lemon oil on my next visit to the music store.

Rob, I havent got a scratch on mine yet, but I have used window cleaner on the pickguard with amazing results
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I find waxing the guitar frequently keeps scratches from ever showing up. I use the Meguire's kit that Fender sells - great stuff!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find Meguire's Deep Crystal wax anywhere it does amazing things to finishes. Makes them really deep and lusterous. Especially ones with a good clear coat.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12