Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Guitar Accidents
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Accidents

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guitar Accidents

I'm pissed off!!

Yesterday I was watching TV late night and playing my guitar, a Giannini GI-300 (I bet you never heard about it, it's a strat copy - poplar body - birdseye maple neck - rosewood fingerboard) when I raised from the couch and the thing just slipped off from the strap!!! She fell with it's top to the ground (as says Murphy Theory ) damaging a lower edge really bad, a tone knob and a part of the upper horn...These things make me mad...

If someone can make me feel better telling more stupid accidents with the guitar it would be fine
    Last edited by Iago; January 9th, 2006 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Corrected the past form of "to fall" :)

Post Thanks / Like

It happens, Iago... How bad was the damage, finish only or did the body break? Is the guitar still playable? It sucks that your guitar is damaged in any way, but if it's playable, there is a bright side...

You just might have started relicing it, a la SRV and his "Number 1".
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it smashed a bit of wood on the lower edge, close to the 2nd tone knob...it's bare wood on this place now, and cracked the tone knob... I would post a picture if I could...it was a bad wound to my baby...

Yeah, relics look cool but seeing her falling that way broke my heart hahahaa scratches and dents are enough to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Iago – What a bummer! One would think sitting on the couch would be a very safe place to strum the guitar. Sounds like it hit a hard floor. I sure hope it was not one of your better guitars! I normally mess around with my everyday Strat copy for home practice. This way if I ever experience an accident, it will not be my good guitar.

I remember adding extra springs on the new Strat. The pliers slipped and let go of the spring and scratched the back of the guitar. I got angry and repeated the same process. Now I have two long scratches on the back of the guitar. I’m over it now.

I hope you heal fast from your accident. This could be the reason to go purchase a new guitar.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked up the Giannini website... Those are some good looking strat clones! I can't tell you the number of times that I've bumped my guitars around... One just about gave me a heart attack, though.

I was 15, and had a friend over at the house to show me a few things on the guitar. The friend shows up with a brand new Gibson Les Paul Custom... It was his baby, and he was extremely protective of it. He let me bring the guitar into the kitchen to show it to Mom. I brought it into the kitchen, and to show off the beautiful finish (the LP had a perfect 'burst finish), I held it up by the strap. The strap slipped and the guitar fell to the tile floor, clattering across the kitchen. I was horrified. I picked it up and checked every square inch of the thing. No paint damage, no broken knobs or tuners, nothing. God must have been watching, 'cause there was no WAY I would be able to afford a replacement (even to this day)! I told the guy about the drop, and he was cool about it, but I never got to play that LP again.
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Man..dropping a LP Custom... that's a real Katastrophe! (terrible joke, I know ) just thinking about the scene...

This Giannini of mine was produce by 2000-2001, and they were really Fender clones... Fender menaced to sue them (off course) so they had changed all the designs...I didn't played any of those yet, but they look cooler than most of Giannini's 80's-90's stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno about most other guitars but Les Paul type guitars are notorious for slipping out of the guitar strap because of the angle of the strap button. I am very careful with mine when I stand up to play.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Someone needs to invent a cosmetic plastic lock to go over the strap button(s) to prevent our equipment from falling. Who ever does will be a millionaire. They could sell the idea to Planet Wave..
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a thingy that is commercially manufactured that fits around the end of your strap button after you put your strap on the guitar. I can't remember what it is called right now, but I'll see if I can find it. I bought 2 for a friend for his birthday a while ago.

It's black and plastic and locks onto the button. Very effective looking and a great idea.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iago
    Man..dropping a LP Custom... that's a real Katastrophe! (terrible joke, I know ) just thinking about the scene...
    That's actually how I came up with my screen name... A year ago, I took a motorcycle safety course. The course went fine... right up until we went outside for the riding portion of the course. 1st bike - no start. 2nd bike - transmission went out and wouldn't go into 2nd gear. 3rd bike - would lug badly at low RPM. Had to keep the throttle at least halfway open and slip the clutch to get 'er through the test, which ain't easy on a slow speed course. One catastrophe after another. I ended up buying a Suzuki Katana, combined the two, and there ya go.

Sorta accident prone that way, I guess.
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

The day I failed on the driving license test was one of the worst of my life...

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW:

I put a ding in my Martin D-15 just days after I got it. My wife's cat was trying to climb into the case to nap. I leaned forward to close it, and one of the clasps on the case's lid bounced off the top of the guitar.

I call the guitar Dingo, because it's dinged and hates cats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My son and I were practicing together, both on acoustics (he has a 3/4 size). His is a S101 with a Martin style headstock with sharp corners. I leaned toward him to show him something on the music, and he leaned and swung my way and BLONG!, his headstock rammed into the spruce top of my Joshua Dreadnought. OUCH! It left a little triangle shaped ding that goes in a 1/8th or 16th of an inch or so. : Not a big thing, but I am not a relic guy and don't like dings in my stuff if I can help it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

IAGO, if you have found out why this really happened, mark it with a big "NO GO" in the back of your mind.

By the way, scars give your guitar a character - so she's got stories to tell in guitar heaven :-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Thats true, there's no way you ain't gonna get some scars and dings on a guitar along the way if you are a player. Immaculate stuff is for museums.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a pristine Ibanez Musician in Candy Apple Red on the road as my back up guitar. I kept it on a stand just behind me and out of harms way should I need it. One night I had given the other guitar player my metal slide to use in a song. A song or two later I needed it but he still had it. He proceeds to toss it my way and of course the throw was a bad one. It bounced off me and the floor and then right on to the face of this beautiful guitar knocking out a dime sized chunk from the finish. Would my arm hide the ding while playing? Nope. Could I find a way to fix it? Nope. I was stuck with it.

Today that guitar is very valuable since it was a limited production model and color. I could have cried, but I didn't. I just got drunk.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1981 koa Carvin DC200. I was playing it one time when my son was about 3 years old. He started whining and wanting something so I had to put the guitar down to deal with him. As I placed the guitar back into the case the lid fell closed and the center clasp nicked the edge of the guitar. You can see the nick in the picture below, it is directly below the bridge pickup at the edge of the body.

I take extremely good care of my guitars so this made me mad. But then I realized that he did not make the lid fall down so I can't really blame him.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first got my Charvel Model 7, I took it to a luthier to get the nut replaced. I wasn't cautious taking it out of the gig bag. Kerrang! It fell about three feet on the to ground. It landed on a rug, string side down. It didn't even get so much as a scratch. Thankfully, I just had to feel like an idiot.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

The lead singer for the British punk band the Buzzcocks, Pete Shelley, had a cheapo guitar called a "Starway" that he got mad at in the studio, and threw down on the floor, breaking it in two.

He played it like that for part of a year until he could replace it, including on some television appearances.

Now 30 years later, a company is making a "limited edition" of the Starway-- AFTER it was broken!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast