Thread: Robert Johnson recording speed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Robert Johnson recording speed

I found this topic at another site and found it really interesting. I wanted to post it here.

It's a link to a website that talks about the speed at which the original Robert Johnson recordings were made. According to the article many people believe that the record speed which we currently hear nowadays (one that I too hear off my iPod from the 1961 release of Robert Johnson: King of the Delta Blues Singers) is too fast. It suggests that Robert originally tuned his guitar to "normal" open G string keys like we do today while still using a capo as he did. If you listen to the way he sings on these records today he does sound as if he's singing in a real high key and at a fast tempo. Listen to his vocal vibratos...almost chipmunkie in many ways. When you listen to the songs slowed down they sound much more clearer. Check out the article it's neat stuff. There are slowed down versions of his songs on the bottom of the webpage article that really sound much better and more natural than the way we might hear them from a record.

http://www.touched.co.uk/press/rjnote.html

Wikipedia also mentions this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...%28musician%29
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting! I wonder if that is true for other old recordings from the same era? The slower versions sounds so much better!
    I hope they release a proper CD box with these "new" slow versions, that would be a fine excuse for buying more of Mr Johnsons music.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Interesting! I wonder if that is true for other old recordings from the same era? The slower versions sounds so much better!
    I hope they release a proper CD box with these "new" slow versions, that would be a fine excuse for buying more of Mr Johnsons music.
    I like the slower speeds myself. You can really hear what's going on both with the guitar and especially with the vocals. Faster played music is supposed to be more punchy and exciting? I don't think so!

There's a link at the top of that page...if you click on negative image of RJ that leads you to information about ordering a CD of 24 of his songs at the slower speed.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    I like the slower speeds myself. You can really hear what's going on both with the guitar and especially with the vocals. Faster played music is supposed to be more punchy and exciting? I don't think so!

There's a link at the top of that page...if you click on negative image of RJ that leads you to information about ordering a CD of 24 of his songs at the slower speed.
    I found a online store here that has it, but I might wait for a iTunes release (I buy almost all music on iTunes).
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

May I suggest a reason for the slight speed up of the older songs. Are there any Fretter out there that remember 33 1/3 long playing records? There may have been a happy compromise when the new tape and CD style of recording media was introduced. This is just an idea to throw into the conversation.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    May I suggest a reason for the slight speed up of the older songs. Are there any Fretter out there that remember 33 1/3 long playing records? There may have been a happy compromise when the new tape and CD style of recording media was introduced. This is just an idea to throw into the conversation.
    I remember 33 1/3, 78s and 45s. Trouble is I don't have any albums anymore and I have a turntable in the shed. I also have a dual cassette player in storage up in the attic. I inherited my father's reel to reel too but after a few hours of messing with it...it stopped working. :\

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know why, but my natural feeling always told me that what I hear on the record is slightly to fast - it sounds a little bit unnatural at times and I have listened to R.J. a million times!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    I do not know why, but my natural feeling always told me that what I hear on the record is slightly to fast - it sounds a little bit unnatural at times and I have listened to R.J. a million times!
    That's the feeling I always got when I listened to Robert Johnson too Jimi. Especially when he would speak within the song. It sounded too high pitched like it was stretched out or fast...it sounded weird. I listened to him on the way back from my fishing trip a week ago and I thought to myself, either that's sped up or Robert was only 13 when he recorded that and they lied about his age. heh

Post Thanks / Like

I also heard the slow downs and they sound much better to my ears.

But as far as the voice... I lived in memphis about 16 years or so and his voice type is common down there. High pitched is not as uncommon as you would think. Especially when excited..

But, I go for the idea they are sped up on the 33 1/3 to create the sound more then not. The slow downs seem to have more feeling to them.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.