Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Should I or Shouldn't I?

Thread: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Should I or Shouldn't I?

OK, on the TDPRI I found a link to this auction selling Fender Texas Special Tele pickups for an unbelievably low price. The problem is that the price seems to be a bit too unbelievable. You used to be able to get them for $99, but Fender raised the minimum advertised price to $189. A local shop offered to get them for me for $135. I'd say that $120 would be a very good price on them. The other problem is that I promised myself I'd pay off my credit cards before buying anything else. Of course, if I get them (or similar) pups later for twice as much, what have I saved?

Thoughts? Advice? Innuendo?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

That price for one pickup is $62, or $124 for two. I'd go local and not worry about $10.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...
    It looks like this is actually a set of 2 for auction and at least in the picture is the real deal.

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0992121000

But there seems to be different packaging for this set at online retailers.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN992121000

Maybe new packaging with the new higher price and this auction is the old version? Same part number and specs.

Would be hard for me to pass up at half off the best local price.
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like

Marnold
    Ask the seller if it is 1 pickup being auctioned or a set of 2. The auction text is a bit vague on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Hog: Zzounds has the old packaging.

Spud: Yeah, I want to talk with the seller anyway. The description (right from Fender's info) describes both pickups. The heading says blk/chrome because the bridge pickup is black and the neck is chrome.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, absolutely--shoot the seller a question and get clarification. That price is way too cheap for a pair....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

The question was shot early this afternoon. No response just yet, not a surprise for a Sunday. I also asked about the part where he says returns need to be made in three days.
    Last edited by marnold; March 25th, 2007 at 07:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

He still hasn't returned my message yet, but now the auction says "This item has been removed." The auction was set to go until about April 20 originally. He sold four of the ten he was offering. Something is definitely odd here.

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing you waited then, huh? Or not. If it was his screw up then a few people might get a killer deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Good thing you waited then, huh? Or not. If it was his screw up then a few people might get a killer deal.
    Yeah, the jury's out. Since they never answered their phone the multiple times I tried to call and they never responded to my eBay message, I'm more than a little leery. What if I would have a problem? I'm going to keep in touch with that guy on the TDPRI forums and see how things went for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to your local dealer. The problem is that when measuring the pu it is very close to the tex mex, if I remember correctly.

To be on the safe side spend some more bucks and be happy with the pus.

To me the Texas Special Tele and Strat PU is the best pu in the world....
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    Go to your local dealer. The problem is that when measuring the pu it is very close to the tex mex, if I remember correctly.

To be on the safe side spend some more bucks and be happy with the pus.

To me the Texas Special Tele and Strat PU is the best pu in the world....
    Agreed. Some really sweet tones out the Texas Special strat pickups. I had installed a set on one of my strats. I also put a set of the new Fender Somarium Cobalt noiseless pickups in another strat, and these are also worth looking at too, plus, no noise is always a plus with single coils.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.