Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

I modded my Squier 51

Thread: I modded my Squier 51

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default I modded my Squier 51

Today I modded my Squier 51!!

I bought some stuff from GuitarFetish and I did the following mods:

1) Changed the white pickguard to a tortoise shell one:

2) I put the Dream 90 bridge pickup and the Fatbody Oversized Polepiece Tele Neck Pickup:

3) I've changed the tuners with the Wilkinson Vintage style ones:

(I had replaced the decal to a "Fender Fiftyone" some time ago...)

4) I put a concentric pot. Now I have have both volume and tone controls

5) I replaced the rotary switch to a cheap 3-way switch. In a few days I will put a Les Paul type one because this one is very bad...

My first impressions from the Pickups are VERY GOOD. I liked very much the neck pickup because it sounds like a tele but with its own personality (it has also some strat-ish sound in it). The Dream 90 sounds like a dark single coil pup, or a bright humbucker one (I have no experience up to now with p90s, but I guess that's how they are supposed to sound...)

The tone control is very useful! You can achieve a very good jazzy tone from both pups, by cutting it.
    I experimented with the capacitor value and found that a .033 one was the best for my taste...

The volume pot works now much better than the cheap stock one and has a longer usefull range.

The tuners feel more stable, but I was dissapointed by the fact that although they are vintage styled, the strings is not coming in the tuner from above, but from the side...

The pickguard is not 100% the same as the stock one is shape, but it fits the body perfectly. 3 of the pickguard holes didn't line up with the ones on the body, so I had to make 3 new holes (very easy...I didn't have to drill the body, as the basswood is very soft wood).

One of these days I'll record some clips to hear my modded beauty
    Last edited by elavd; March 31st, 2007 at 06:17 PM.
    MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Amps: Fender Deluxe Reverb II, Tech21 TM30
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:
    http://www.blackframe.gr

Personal Myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/eliasavdikos