Thread: New member, glad that I found this site!

Post Thanks / Like

Default New member, glad that I found this site!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jim. I found this site after discovering Robert's awesome playing on his online demo of the Vox AD50 amp.

I have been playing guitar for many years now and I still enjoy learning new things from other players. I play with a few different bands in the city that I live in and I also like to dabble in home recording and writing tunes.

My favorite types of music are Jazz, Blues, ... or just about anything else that is done well. My favorite musicians are the Beatles, Pat Metheny, George Benson, Eric Johnson, BB King, Roben Ford, ...

I own the following guitars:
    Hamer Newport
    Fender Eric Clapton Strat
    Ibanez Artcore Jazz box
    Martin J40-M
    Taylor 514CE

I own the following amps
    Vox AD120VTX
    Roland Cube 60

I also have been teaching guitar on the weekends for about 2 years now and have been enjoying that quite a bit.

I'm looking forward to learning things with all of you and sharing any info that might help other players.

Thanks, -- Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Jim. Glad you found us.

If you've been teaching for a while maybe you could start a thread highlighting common mistakes or trouble spots for new guitar players? Or something like that if you feel comfortable doing so. I'll bet we can all still learn something.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome Jim....this is a great forum

glad you found us....better bookmark this page because it is a keeper!

ww
    Last edited by warren0728; January 9th, 2006 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim - Glad to have you aboard! As both a teacher and gigging player, I am positive that you'll have much to share with our fellow forum members. I also noticed that you'd mentioned Robben Ford as one of your favorite players - he's one of mine too! He has such fantastic tone and technique. Great singer, too!!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Jim, glad you could join in! This is nice hangout, you'll like it here.
    I'm listening to "Pfat Cat Shuffle" right now from Jim's soundclick page - man, it's awesome! I'd love to jam with you! Check it out at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=301718
    Jim, you rock.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Jim,

Metheny and Benson are two of my favourite players as well! But perhaps some of Bensons more disco related recordings was not that great.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard, Jim!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

Thanks for listening to my tunes, I appreciate the kind words.

I was very impressed with your playing from the samples on your web site. It would be great to jam with you too.

-- Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jim - that IS a great tune! Very jazzy and fun! Nice chops there, too, my friend. I'm just getting into home-recording myself, so I'd be very interested in hearing about your recording set-up as well as your techniques. When you have a chance, post something under the "Home Recording & Clips" section of the our forum.

Robert - I appreciate you sending that link. I was looking for a place where I could post my songs (once they're done) for others to listen to, and Soundclicks looks like a great place. I've already registered!! I'll probably post them at Acid Planet as well (sister site to Sony's Acid Music Studio homepage).

All of this home-recording discussion is getting me FIRED UP!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome welcome welcome.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for listening to my posted songs Nelskie, I appreciate it.

Sure, I'd be glad to share any information about home recording. I've learned most of what I know through trial and error. I started out using an old reel-to-reel 4 track deck a long time ago in the days before PC-based recording. The technology is so good these days that you can get great results without having to invest too much cash. I also like the flexibility of having the recording done on a PC because you can do all of the editing in software where it can be "un-done" if something doesn't sound right. You also have the added benefit of being able to convert your final mix into MP3, WMA, or other standard formats that can be played over the internet.

Soundclick.com is a great site for posting your tunes and turning them loose to the whole world. It's a free site and they give you some tools for measuring how many people listened to your tracks, etc.

Thanks, -- Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Jim -

Just got through listening to your tunes... They were awesome! Man, I wish I could be that smooth in transitioning from phrase to phrase... It's players like you that keep me wanting to practice and improve. Thanks for posting the work!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,

I just now listened to your stuff. You did an awesome job. Really sounds great. I too love the Pfat Cat Shuffle. Thumbs up maestro.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

oh man jim... im gonna have to jump on the "pfat cat shuffle" bus. at first i though i knew you, but i guess not... unless you happen to live in SoCal... great work, it inspires me to play, after hearing you. i seem to be at a plateu and im trying to find new songs to play, and i think ill look into some of the guys you mentioned!
    Blues/Rock/Classic Rock Junkie!

Guitars:
    -Agile AL-2800 Dlx Les Paul
    -Fender MIM Strat
    -Fender DG-8 Acoustic
    Amps:
    -Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
    -Kustom 10W Practice Amp
    Pedals:
    -DigiTech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jim,

Welcome to our growing family. Hopefully you can share your teaching experience with the rest of us. I am a newbie to the electric guitar, so right now I am in the asking mode. The good people here have been very patient and helpful in answering my questions. I personally have improved in both knowledge and playing skills in the three months of being a member of this forum, than I have in the last year and half else where. Again, welcome.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I really do appreciate it.

-- Jim

Post Thanks / Like

That pfat cat shuffle was really good, nice sound and great playing !
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Jim! You will find nothing but friendly and classy people here.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Jim! Nice tunes man... I really like sitting back and listening to Jazzy instrumentals... Would love to learn better Phrasing as my speed picks up.. more teachers here huh...hmm...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.