Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Wiring humbuckers - what do I need?

Thread: Wiring humbuckers - what do I need?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wiring humbuckers - what do I need?

I am about to wire a 2 humbucker guitar. What do I need? I have two 500k pots, wire, two humbuckers with pickup rings, knobs. What kind of switch do I need?

Sorry for the dumb questions - I am not a "Vooduhman" in modding!
    Last edited by Robert; April 4th, 2007 at 09:12 AM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

With 2 humbuckers theres alot you could do!

What kinda guitar is it? Cause I seem to think 2 volume knobs and 2 tones combined with a healthy switch...by healthy I mean...have you seen the Jimmy Page mod? 32 tones!

There are tons of mods you could do with a set up like that.

BTW what kinda HBs are they??

Post Thanks / Like

It's an SX guitar. I haven't seen the Page mod, no. They are Squier humbuckers.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

"Duncan Design"?

I'll be right back with wiring links

Post Thanks / Like

Guess this doesnt really require a switch, but you could use one instead of the push/pull pots...my point was you can do alot with 2 hbuckers *shrug*

http://www.deaf-eddie.net/drawings/jp-lp.jpg
    http://www.deaf-eddie.net/pushpull/jp_setup.html

Lots of good stuff here:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics.shtml
    Last edited by ShortBuSX; April 4th, 2007 at 09:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a standard wiring diagram for a 2-humbucker guitar with one volume control, one tone and a 3-way pickup toggle:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support..._1v_1t_3w.html

500K pots are correct for humbuckers. Did you get linear or audio taper pots? I think humbuckers usually come either with linear for the volume and audio for the tone, or audio for both.

Note that you'll need a tone capacitor, if you don't already have one. The lower the rating, the brighter the tone. In general, 0.047uf caps are used with humbuckers, but this is really a matter of personal preference. If you like a brighter sound, you might want to go to 0.033 or 0.022. I'd recommend polyester film caps over a ceramics.

The "Page mod", BTW, requires 4 push/pull pots (i.e. 2 volume, 2 tone) and 4-conductor humbuckers. It's amazingly versatile, but quite complicated to do. My Epi Dot is wired quite similarly.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

I'm right in the middle myself. Bought an RSguitarworks pot kit with caps and a set of Dimarzio Virtual pafs for my Epi Les Paul.

Things to consider....
    * To get your knobs off your old pots, put a wrap a shoelace under the knob and pull up gently....or you might have a champagne cork.
    * Patience
    * Make sure your pots fit in the holes BEFORE you solder.... I have to go buy a reamer
    * Do as much soldering outside guitar on protective cardboard
    * Shielded wire

I'm not finished yet but these are a few that I've learned.

Good Luck!
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks VDM, a nice diagram there. We'll see how I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Im still curious about the humbuckers...2 wires or 4 wires? Are they the "Duncan Design" humbuckers?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Robert - I have been out of pocket for awhile (again), but now I am back.

I was given this schematic for my Custom Squire with 2 humbuckers. It is clean and crisp with plenty of range.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/stockgibson.php
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes those pickups are from a Jagmaster. You could wire them with the regular 3 way switch or add a coil-tap to split the humbuckers into single coils.

Stewart-MacDonald has lots of wiring directions here:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups.html
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix