Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
I just did a kinda retro mod to my Squier 51!

Thread: I just did a kinda retro mod to my Squier 51!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I just did a kinda retro mod to my Squier 51!

I had this idea today out of the blue...I had a spare Fender Telecaster vintage-style bridge lying around doing nothing. I looked at the 51, then the bridge again, and had an idea.

Since I had installed a GFS bridge, I had the original 51 bridge in a ziploc bag. I took it out, measured, and drilled three holes between the saddle holes. I then put the Tele saddles there, and mounted the whole enchilada.

I think it ended up pretty neat, and took me less than half an hour. Check out the pics:

How does it sound? Slightly beefier, with more lower mids and kind of a fuller sound. I know intonation gets compromised, but the sound is just too cool.

Play your guitar daily!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Great idea - it looks cool too! Thanks for posting the pics!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job! But, damn, I had the same idea and you beat me to it!!

Glad you did anyway, because I want to ask you what you used to drill the holes and also if you drilled between the existing saddle holes or the string holes?

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Kerc, now you HAVE to do the string through body mod! That would be awesome!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Abraxas: LOL...I wondered why no one else had done it...Obviously I wasn't alone in my idea!

SS: I dunno about making it string-through--I like how it plays as a top-loader. Top loaders have a certain spank to their tone that I dig...Also, I don't have the required tools to make a decent string-through!

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Very VERY nice job! Dang... I gotta get one of those GF bridges...
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Tremolo that's the stock 51 bridge that I drilled!

Play your guitar daily!