Thread: Jimi Hendrix 2 String Bending Lick!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimi Hendrix 2 String Bending Lick!

Time for a new video lesson! This time, I am demonstrating how to play this cool sounding but challenging Jimi Hendrix style lick, where we do bends on two strings.

Jimi Hendrix String Bending Lick

I've heard Jimi play variations on this lick on several recordings, and it's one of my favourite blues licks of all the stuff I've learned over the (many) years!

Enjoy, and feel free to comment, download the clip, and spread the word to your friends!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great! That will be fun to try! Thanks as always.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Robet,

Thanks for that lesson. You show it nice and slow, several times through, and with lots of explanation of what strings to mute, etc. This is great for a beginner like me. I have to see something numerous times and work though it very slowly to begin with before I get the hang of it.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Great job Robert. I bet there is tons of players out there who wonder how Jimi did this bending, as you hear it throughtout his playing very often.

The explanation and the slomotion playing really show how the trick works. Thanks for that, I wish I had someone like you showing it to me, don't know how long I tried until I discovered the secret.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Oooooh, Im going to have to try this when I get home!!!

Thanks Robert
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, glad to hear it's useful to someone! Have fun with it, and feel free to download and share the video with others.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Hey, glad to hear it's useful to someone! Have fun with it, and feel free to download and share the video with others.
    Dude, once I got the hang of it, I was improvising all kinds of blues riffs
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

Is it incorrect to perform the bend with the third finger on the 15th fret of the B string, and second finger already on the 14th fret of the G string? I find this a little easier to do and I make almost no string noise as I release the B string.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Jasongins - nothing wrong with that! If it works for you, it is right. Believe you me - there are not really any right or wrong ways to play guitar. Do what works for you. That is my motto.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasongins
    Thanks for that lesson. You show it nice and slow, several times through, and with lots of explanation of what strings to mute, etc. This is great for a beginner like me. I have to see something numerous times and work though it very slowly to begin with before I get the hang of it.
    Don't feel bad... I've been hacking at guitar for 12+ years now and it still takes me a long time to learn things that are out of my normal realm of riff playing.

Sometimes I find the easiest things to play can be the hardest - I know it sounds odd but it's true for me. I love the Cure song 'Untitled' off of 'Disintergration' and it took me forever to get the notes just right where I find the main riff to AC/DC's 'Thunderstruck' a piece of cake to play that my friends struggle with. Go figure.

Thanks for the lesson Robert! You know how much of a Jimi fan I am. I'm absorbing this lesson on a daily basis until I get it down pat.

You da man!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds sooooo sweet. I gotta learn this one. Thanks, Robert!

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep that one's a keeper. I have def heard Jimi play that lick. Thanks Robert!
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer